Record Details

NHER Number:11597
Type of record:Monument
Name:19th century maltings

Summary

The central block was built in the 19th century with nine bays of three storeys separated by deep pilasters. The south block had a pyramidal roof has clamp irons in form of foliate Greek crosses. There were more recent additions to the north and south. The complex was demolished around 1990.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 9265 2980
Map Sheet:TF92NW
Parish:FAKENHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

September 1976. Visit. Maltings.
Main (central) block 19th century, good condition, double width with central roof gutter, nine bays of three storeys separated by deep pilasters. Sloping dormers in pantiled roof over alternate bays. Block to south with pyramidal roof has clamp irons in form of foliate Greek crosses. More recent additions north and south.
E. Rose (NAU), 30 September 1976.

Demolished around 1990 after recording by Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society.
See (S1).
E. Rose (NLA), 17 July 1997.

NIAS records:
Dewing & Co. (the owners) bought a lot of their equipment from Robert Boby Ltd of Suffolk as evidenced by reciepts of purchase collected by NIAS. The owners also had electric lighting installed in 1935 for the cost of £58 16s 6d.
See (S2)
W. Arnold (HES), 14 Febuary 2011

Monument Types

  • MALTINGS (Post Medieval to Cold War - 1850 AD? to 1990 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
<S1>Fiche: Exists.
<S2>Archive: NIAS. Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society Records.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2022 Norfolk Historic Environment Service