Record Details

NHER Number:11595
Type of record:Building
Name:The Rectory, 21 Oak Street

Summary

This early 18th century former rectory house has two storeys with an attic, five bays and two dormers. The front door is off centre. The façade has stone or stucco quoins. There is a contemporary two storey extension to the south, part of which is used as a garage. The rear face is red brick with large sash windows.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 9181 2976
Map Sheet:TF92NW
Parish:FAKENHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

September 1976. Visit. The Rectory, 21 Oak Street.
Early 18th century former rectory house, two storeys with attic, five bays and two dormers. Front door off centre. Dentilled cornice. Stone (stucco?) quoins. Front stucco but south gable wall brick, including contemporary two storey extension; around latter on main gable wall the arrangement of windows and chimney stacks harks back to 17th century styles. Now used as part of garage; in good condition.
E. Rose (NAU), 30 September 1976.

June 2003. Visit.
Rear elevation seen from car park. Red brick with large sash windows. Grand appearance.
E. Rose (NLA), 24 June 2003.

Monument Types

  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 460.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2022 Norfolk Historic Environment Service