Record Details

NHER Number:11572
Type of record:Building
Name:Bacton Wood Mill


A watermill of about 1780, three storeys high with an attic flat and a weatherboarded sack hoist. A miller's house is attached. Much of the old mill machinery remains, together with some wheels and pulleys for a 20th century oil engine that replaced the original water power. It is understood that the mill has been converted to residential use.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 2999 3067
Map Sheet:TG23SE

Full description

Brick mill building with weatherboarded sack hoist, on brick arch over tiny mill stream. Miller's house attached. Being converted.

September 1976.
Birthplace of Sir William Cubitt, inventor of mill machinery and the prison treadmill. Marked on (S1). (S2) lists as built in about.1780. Roof of concrete tiles. Three storeys and attic. Brick plinth. Door to right, two windows left, all segmental arched. Milling floor with double access doors and window. Two windows second floor. The sack hoist lucam rises to ridge of roof and has side windows. Rear wall as façade but without sack hoist. Timber staircase to attic flat. Brick bridge over leat to internal undershot waterwheel, which drives wallower and pit wheel on upright shaft. Immediately above great spur wheel drives stone nuts and governors. Additional wheels and pulleys for 20th century oil engine. Milling floors with four pairs of stones, one fitted with lifting crane and strapband. Second floor has crownwheel, layshaft, sackhoist machinery. Attic floor coverted to domestic. Millers house attached, two storeys, three bays, central door under gabled porch all details 20th century. Information from (S2).
E. Rose (NAU) 8 August 1986.

Monument Types

  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • WATERMILL (Post Medieval - 1780 AD? to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 374.
---Photograph: Photographs of Bacton Wood Mill, Bacton. Black & white.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797.
<S2>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1049148.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service