Record Details

NHER Number:11570
Type of record:Monument
Name:Arthur's Barn, formerly Church Farm Barn


A flint and brick barn with a thatched roof, now converted to residential use. Although not precisely dated, a nearby building has a date plaque of 1728.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 3234 3291
Map Sheet:TG33SW

Full description

16 September 1976. Visit.
Barn. On farm south of Edingthorpe church, east of farm road.
About 55m to 64m (60 to 70 feet) long. Flint and brick mixed in walls, and on east a brick 'porch' extension to full height. All thatched.
E. Rose (NAU).

(S1) (1997) in file.

September 2000. Visit.
The barn also had a row of large stepped brick buttresses along the west wall. It has been converted to housing with upper storey inserted. To the southwest is a small building with an east gable wall of flint and brick diaperwork, and a stone block inscribed 1728. Further west were the remains of a cottage, now demolished, the bricks from which date to after about 1780; a small barn of similar brickwork still stands.
E. Rose, (NLA), 29 September 2000.

Monument Types

  • BARN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service