Record Details

NHER Number:11565
Type of record:Building
Name:Bromholm and Garden Cottage


Originally one building, now two separate houses, this dates to the late 17th century and is L shaped and built of brick and flint with a thatched roof. Most of the windows were replaced in the 20th century.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 3461 3352
Map Sheet:TG33SW

Full description

15 September 1976. Visited.
House opposite school. Tall gable walls in flint and brick. Upper storey projects slightly at front and is supported on brick buttresses whole of front is plastered. Small thatched outbuilding or extension. Main wing runs north at right angles to front (now a separate house). Thatched with dormers, it has blocked small windows. Late 17th or early 18th century?
E. Rose (NAU).
(S2) agrees with date but says 'carstone in walls'. Presumably means ironbound conglomerate. Also notes 'one chamfered beam alone survives'. Property formerly known as The Great Barn.
E. Rose ( NAU) 8 August 1986.
Damaged in gale October 1987. Damage seen by E. Rose (NAU) 26 October 1987. Thatched roof of extension, to east blown off, revealing main house east gable as plastered rubble and brickwork; bricks appear to be of early date.
(S1) in file.
E. Rose (NAU) 27 October 1987.

Monument Types

  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 375.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1987. Landmark's thatch roof wrecked. 17 October.
<S2>Designation: Historic England. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1049968.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service