Record Details

NHER Number:11528
Type of record:Building
Name:The Dog post medieval public house

Summary

What is now The Dog public house may originally have been a private house. The brick building dates to the early 17th century and it has a T-shaped plan. Inside there are 17th century wooden beams and an open fireplace.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 1943 1563
Map Sheet:TG11NE
Parish:HORSFORD, BROADLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

Noted by (S1) as not on original road line, probably built as private house.

January 1952. Listed, Grade II.
Early 17th century and later. Brick and pantiles. T-plan, 2 storey range east to west, higher two storey cross wing to east. Cross wing facade with blocked 17th century window with pediment and quoining; two former openings above. Stepped gables with stack on south. Two storey ranged (with one and a half storey extension) may contain 17th century work. Both wing interiors have early 17th century stepped and chamfered transverse beams. Open fireplace with bressumer. Butt purlin roof in cross wing.
See (S2) for the complete listing details and (S3).
E. Rose (NAU), 30 November 1984.

Monument Types

  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • INN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 11 NE 3.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 565.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Article in Serial: Cozens-Hardy, B.. 1957. The Holt Road. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXXI pp 163-177. p 165.
<S2>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1305890.
<S3>Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2022 Norfolk Historic Environment Service