Record Details

NHER Number:11087
Type of record:Building
Name:Priory Farm


This is the site of a rectangular subdivided medieval moat containing a possibly later, fishpond and the ruins of a 17th century timber framed house. Only the chimney stack now survives.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TM 2086 8209
Map Sheet:TM28SW

Full description

Ordnance Survey antiquity with moat.
Was originally a house called the Priory because its land had been owned by Old Buckenham Priory. Became a farm around 1800.
See (S1).
E. Rose (NAU), 25 January 1982.

March 1990. Visit.
Rectangular subdivided moat containing fishpond and ruins of 17th century timber framed house (to be removed?).
E. Rose (NAU), March 1990.

October 2004. Visit.
Dimensions difficult to assess, as whole site is heavily masked in scrubby undergrowth and small trees. Base of chimney stack remains, ivy covered, almost invisible, remains of collapsed farmhouse have been removed. Ditches wet, containing much dead wood. Some grassed areas in interior with small conifers. Some dredging carried out to form a small pond in northwest corner this reed filled. Owner very interested, site a wildlife haven. Coins found in field to north have been identified by Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service.
H. Paterson (A&E), 25 October 2004.

For documentary evidence see (S2).

Monument Types

  • FISHPOND (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • MOAT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (Post Medieval to Modern - 1600 AD to 2000 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Dickleburgh.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-[2000]. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service.
---Photograph: FFP 32-3.
<S1>Monograph: Cromwell, T.. 1818. Excursions through Norfolk.
<S2>Article in Serial: Rutledge, P.. 2004. Priory Farm, Rushall.. NHBG News. No 7, March. p 15.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service