Record Details

NHER Number:11037
Type of record:Building
Name:St Mary's Church, Rushall


St Mary's church has a round tower that may be Saxon. The top of the tower is an addition and is Perpendicular in style. The chancel is in Early English style and in the nave there is a blocked doorway to a former chapel. The nave windows are all Perpendicular. The south porch is 15th century. A medieval set of stocks is recorded as being stored in the porch in 1733.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TM 1976 8265
Map Sheet:TM18SE

Full description

(S1) in 1733 noted: church and chancel in 'nasty ruinous condition'. Tower 'round below and angled above'; south porch. Arch to ?demolished south chapel, piscina above it. Part screen with painted flowers. Plain arch on north side chancel; two east windows, two south and two north windows (not clear if this refers to chancel only, or whole church). One of north windows blocked up. Brass matrices. Coffin slab. Stocks in porch.
E. Rose (NAU), 1982.

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Late Saxon to 21st Century - 851 AD? to 2100 AD)
  • ROUND TOWERED CHURCH (Late Saxon to 21st Century - 851 AD? to 2100 AD)
  • STOCKS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds

  • COFFIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1998. [Photograph of St Mary's Church, Rushall]. 21 January.
---Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1899. Hundred of Earsham. The Churches of Norfolk. Vol III. pp 64-68.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 621.
---Leaflet: Richard E Emms. 1965. St. Mary the Virgin, Rushall.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Documentary Source: Martin, T. c. 1700-1799. Collections of Church Notes. Norfolk Records Office.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service