Record Details

NHER Number:11000
Type of record:Monument
Name:St Mary's Church

Summary

This church was recorded as having a round tower with an octagonal top in the 18th century, but the tower fell in 1753 and the rest of the church was restored with no tower in 1853. Excavations in 1993 revealed the foundations of the tower. The church contains a rare painted coat of arms of King James I.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TM 1370 8319
Map Sheet:TM18SW
Parish:BURSTON WITH SHIMPLING, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Round tower with octagonal top, and Early English? cusped piscina. (S1) noted as 'all decaying'.
E. Rose (NLA).

Tower fell 1753: rest restored 1853. 15th century windows. Late 14th century font. Stuart Royal Arms. Council for the Care of Churches. 15th century wooden door bricked up in north doorway.
Information from Diocesan Advisory Committee.
E. Rose (NLA).

1993. Trial Trenching.
Trial holes dug by unknown person on behalf of Parochial Church Council revealed base of round tower remaining below ground, surviving up to three courses of flints set in pale yellowish brown mortar.
See hanging plan.
A. Rogerson (NLA) March 1993.

Pews removed and a beech sprung floor laid in the late 1980s. A small kitchen and toilet were added in the 90s.
See (S") for further details

Monument Types

  • ROUND TOWERED CHURCH (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • FONT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • PISCINA (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 236.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Slide: Various. Slide.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1992. That moving moment. 16 March.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1995. Church in the community. 28 October.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1996. Church table stolen. 26 October.
<S1>Documentary Source: Martin, T. c. 1700-1799. Collections of Church Notes. Norfolk Records Office. c. 1740.
<S2>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2008. Churches must play a community role. 26 September.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service