|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Garboldisham Post Mill|
This mid 18th century post mill fell out of use in 1917 but was restored during the late 1970s. The upper section is weatherboarded with a keeled roof and sits upon a brick roundhouse with a tarred roof. In 1998 the building had no sails.
|Grid Reference:||TM 0027 8047|
|Parish:||GARBOLDISHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
Built mid 18th century, last used 1917. Last post mill in Norfolk. Now preserved.
1st edition 1 inch Ordnance Survey map (1836) (S1) shows two windmills here; the mill to south on Faden's map (S2) appears to be a separate and third mill (NHER 15308) that had gone by 1836 (S1).
The second mill at this site on Ordnance Survey map (S1) is in fact recorded as site NHER 17908.
Newspaper cutting (S3) and photograph (S4) in file.
July 1958. Listed, Grade II*.
Post Mill. c.1780. Brick and timber. Circular brick roundhouse with conical timber roof to buck. Doors to east and west. The buck is weatherboarded with gabled roof covered with felt, as is the roundhouse. Scissor braced ladder staircase leads to first floor door of 3 storeyed superstructure. 3 blind windows to each lateral face. Interior of roundhouse of usual disposition : 4 brick piers support cross trees and 4 quarter bars brace main post descending through roof. Main post rises into buck stopped at crown- tree. Upper storey retains wind shaft, wallower and drive shaft which drops to great spur wheel engaged into stone nuts of 2 underdriven pairs of stones. sails and tiller beam missing.
Information from (S6).
H. Mellor (HES), 26 June 2017.
Well restored weatherboarded buck with keeled roof.
Brick roundhouse with tarred roof.
No sails (as yet). Interior complete.
E. Rose (NAU), 21 October 1980.
No sails. See (S5).
D. Robertson (NLA), 19 December 2005.
- WINDMILL (Post Medieval to Modern - 1750 AD to 2050 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TM 08 SW M . |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Website: Neville, J.. 2006. Garboldisham postmill. http://www.norfolkmills.co.uk/Windmills/garboldisham-postmill.html. 8 January 2007. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 350. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Fiche: Exists. |
|<S1>||Map: Ordnance Survey. 1824-1836. Ordnance Survey First Edition 1 inch.. |
|<S2>||Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797. |
|<S3>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1975. 200-year-old mill grinds again. June. |
|<S4>||Photograph: BPS 17. |
|<S5>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1998. Rescued from ruin, historic mill for sale. 2 October. |
|<S6>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1168497. |
Related records - none
Find out more...