|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Fersfield World War Two airfield|
Fersfield airfield was constructed in 1943, initially for American use. The RAF took over the site in 1944 and it was used for aircrew training. It closed in 1945 and most of the site reverted to agricultural use, although some buildings including the operations block still remain.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 078 851|
|Parish:||BRESSINGHAM, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
|KENNINGHALL, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
World War Two.
Most of perimeter track and dispersal areas survive as farm roads, but runways largely gone.
Ruins of huts.
Visited by E. Rose (NAU) 7 October 1981.
This airfield was constructed in 1943 specifically for American use, and eventually opened in June 1944. This site was used to launch radio-controlled drone aircraft packed with explosives, a mission code-named Aphrodite. The airfield was handed over to the RAF at the end of 1944 and finally closed in 1945. A few buildings remain at the site.
For further information on the operational history of the airfield and photographs of remaining buildings, see (S1).
A. Cattermole (NLA), 13 January 2010.
- AIRCRAFT HANGAR (World War Two - 1943 AD to 1945 AD)
- MILITARY AIRFIELD (World War Two - 1943 AD to 1945 AD)
- OPERATIONS BLOCK (World War Two - 1943 AD to 1945 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|<S1>||Monograph: McKenzie, R.. 2004. Ghost Fields of Norfolk. pp 39-42. |
Related records - none
Find out more...