Record Details

NHER Number:10827
Type of record:Building
Name:St Mary's Church, Kenninghall

Summary

The earliest part of this church is the Norman 12th century doorway. Also Norman was a former central/axial tower which occupied the easternmost bays of the nave. The chancel and north aisle were built around 1300 and the aisle was later extended to form a chapel. The church was transformed in the late 15th/early 16th century with a great west tower replacing the lost central tower, new roofs and panel traceried windows. It was restored in 1891-2 by W. T. Lowdell.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TM 041 859
Map Sheet:TM08NW
Parish:KENNINGHALL, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

Norman 12th century doorway. Chancel and north aisle around 1300, aisle soon after extended to form chapel. Grand rebuilding in late 15th/early 16th century included new tower, clerestory, windows and porch. Restoration in late 19th century. Very fine Perpendicular font cover; Elizabethan royal arms; later medieval monuments; stone coffins.
See (S1) in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 19 October 1995.

November 2015. Survey
Architectural history which establishes the former existance of a central/axial Norman tower based on part of a surving wall passage the position of the piscina on the south wall of nave and the change of design to the easternmost arch of the arcade. The norman south doorway is of an eccentric design and incorporates the most carefully carved bas relief of a bridled yet rider-less horse. Terracotta on chancel south wall with Buckenham Priory arms dates the re-roofing of chancel which belonged to the priory until the Dissolution. For further information and report see (S2).
S. Heywood (HES) 08 April 2016

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Medieval to 19th Century - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • COFFIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • DOOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • DOOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • DOOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • FONT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • PISCINA (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • PISCINA (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • ROOD SCREEN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WALL PAINTING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1901. Hundred of Guiltcross. The Churches of Norfolk. Vol VIII. pp 61-71.
---Documentary Source: Martin, T. c. 1700-1799. Collections of Church Notes. Norfolk Records Office. Walter Rye Collection. RYE 17.. 1739.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, B. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 450-451.
---Leaflet: M F Serpell. kenninghall and St. Mary's Church in earlier days..
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-[2000]. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service.
<S1>Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 1995. Building Report.. Building Report.
<S2>Unpublished Document: Heywood, S. 2016. The church of St Mary, Kenninghall.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2023 Norfolk Historic Environment Service