Record Details

NHER Number:10821
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of a post medieval windmill

Summary

This windmill was built between 1782 and 1783 as a smock mill on a brick base. The wooden tower was rebuilt in brick in 1863. The last miller worked here in 1916. The building has now been demolished.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TM 0408 8653
Map Sheet:TM08NW
Parish:KENNINGHALL, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

Wind mill. Built 1782 to 1783 as smock mill on brick base. Wooden tower replaced by brick 1863. Last miller 1916. Now demolished.
Information from [1].
E. Rose (NAU), 22 March 1982.

Monument Types

  • SMOCK MILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • TOWER MILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TM 08 NW M [2].
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Website: Neville, J.. 2007. Kenninghall Banham Road postmill. http://www.norfolkmills.co.uk/Windmills/kenninghall-banham-rd-postmill.html. 31 May 2017.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2023 Norfolk Historic Environment Service