|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Roman settlement and cemetery|
In the 1850s, during the construction of a kiln, Roman coins, pottery sherds and burnt bones were found. In 1893, more Roman coins were discovered. This evidence suggests the location of a Roman settlement and cemetery, possibly of 3rd century date. A Neolithic arrowhead has also been found at the site.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 3500 9021|
|Parish:||BROOME, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
|DITCHINGHAM, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
1850s and 1893.
At Wainford, on maltings site, in erecting a kiln, coins were found in 1856 - 1857 (S1) and 1855 (S2).
Also in 1893 - these of Philip the Arabian (244-9) and Antoninus Pius (138-61).
In 1856 large quantities of 'rotten' pottery were found containing burnt bones, ashes, black earth; vitrified slag over area.
Two coarse vessels ornamented - mamillated and perpendicular lines - black unglazed. Decorated Samian ware - one with dolphin. See (S3) (called pseudo-Samian).
3rd century cemetery and settlement.
See (S1), (S2), (S3), (S4), (S5), (S6), (S7) and (S8).
Flint arrowhead also found.
R. R. Clarke (NCM).
- CEMETERY (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- HEARTH (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- SETTLEMENT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- ARROWHEAD (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
- ANIMAL REMAINS (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- COIN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- METAL WORKING DEBRIS (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Roman. Ditchingham. |
|<S1>||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TM 39 SE 4. |
|<S2>||Article in Serial: Harrod, H.. 1859. Notice of Excavations Made at Burgh Castle, Suffolk, in the Years 1850 and 1855. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol V pp 146-160. p 148. |
|<S3>||Article in Serial: 1863. Proceedings at Meetings of the Archaeological Institute. The Archaeological Journal. Vol XX pp 166-202. p 179. |
|<S4>||Article in Serial: King, S. W. 1864. Notes on a Roman Kiln and Urns, Found at Hedenham, near Bungay. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol VI pp 149-160. p 152. |
|<S5>||Article in Serial: 1863. Meetings of the Institute. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and Natural History. Vol III pp 394-421. p 414. |
|<S6>||Monograph: Raven, J. J. 1895. History of Suffolk. Popular County Histories. p 30. |
|<S7>||Article in Serial: Fox, G. E. 1900. Roman Suffolk. The Archaeological Journal. Vol LVII pp 89-165. p 163. |
|<S8>||Map: Ordnance Survey, First Edition, 6 Inch. 1879-1886. Ordnance Survey 1st Edition 6 inch map.. |
Related records - none
Find out more...