Record Details

NHER Number:10538
Type of record:Building
Name:Holy Trinity Church, Loddon


A large parish church dating mainly to the 15th century with 19th century restoration. The church contains a 15th century 'Seven Sacrament' font, a 16th century screen with painted panels depicting St William of Norwich and several medieval brasses. A watching brief carried out by the NAU in 1999 did not reveal any archaeological finds or features in the churchyard. Fieldwalking in 2007 retrieved medieval and post medieval pottery from the churchyard.


  • Holy Trinity Church in Loddon  © Norfolk Museums & Archaeology Service
  • Holy Trinity Church, Loddon.  © Norfolk Museums & Archaeology Service
  • The alms box, Holy Trinity Church, Loddon.  © Norfolk Museums & Archaeology Service


Grid Reference:TM 3634 9872
Map Sheet:TM39NE

Full description

Late 15th century, Perpendicular style with strong Decorated traits.
Very fine building. Important brickwork.
1841; extremely important reliquary case found in church, now in British Museum.
For full details see (S1) in file.
E. Rose (NAU) 3 September 1981.

Listed Grade I, iron railings Grade II, see (S2).

July 1999. Watching Brief.
Monitoring of groundworks for paths, soakaway and drain runs at Holy Trinity Church.
Negative results.
No report produced.
C. F. Meckseper (NAU), 22 May 2000. Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 8 February 2017.

June-July 2007. Field walking of the churchyard , unsystematic.
2 medieval pottery sherds.
13 post-medieval pottery sherds (inc 3 GRE).
Ceramic Objects Identified by A. Rogerson (NLA). See list in file.
E. Darch (NLA), 14 August 2007.

March 2015.
Two ?medieval grave slabs are currently located at the north west corner of the church adjacent to the north door. An application has been made to move the slabs as they are considered to be a trip hazard. The contact at the church indicates that the monuments are thought to have come from Langley Abbey. The burial register from 1868 makes reference to moving the slabs to their current position during the Victorian re-ordering of the church and records the objects as Purbeck Marble. The slabs appear to have been fixed to the surface of the tiled floor.
K. Powell (HES), 11 March 2015.

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • COMMEMORATIVE BRASS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • FINDSPOT (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
  • CHEST TOMB (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • FINDSPOT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • GATE PIER (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • RAILINGS (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • WALL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • COFFIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • FONT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • POT (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
  • RELIQUARY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TM 3698A,B.
---Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1995. TM 3698E - F.
---Article in Serial: Fenner, G.. 2002. Loddon Church.. NHBG News. No 4, September. p 2.
---Monograph: Davison, A.. 1990. The Evolution of Settlement in Three Parishes in South-East Norfolk.. East Anglian Archaeology. Vol 49.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1996. Ringers look to end enforced silence. 20 July.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1996. Room for some heritage. 13 December.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2005. Bells to ring out soon with a better sound. 9 November.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 523-525.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. 1962. North-West and South Norfolk. The Buildings of England. 1st Edition. pp 248-249; Pl 45.
---Article in Serial: Cotton, S. 1981. Tradition and Authority in Churchbuilding. NARG News. No 26 pp 8-13. p 10.
---Article in Serial: Redfern, W. B. 1908. Some Ancient Norfolk Alms-Boxes. The Antiquary. Vol XLIV pp 414-416.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-[2000]. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service.
<S1>Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 1978. Building Report.. Building Report.
<S2>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entries 1169522 and 1373159.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service