Record Details

NHER Number:10501
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of Burgh Castle Brick and Cement Works


This is the site of Burgh Castle Brick and Cement Works which opened in 1859 and closed in 1912. The bricks were fired in four kilns, and the remains of these and other buildings are visible on the ground and on aerial photographs.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 4744 0413
Map Sheet:TG40SE

Full description

Brick and cement works opened in 1859, closed in 1912.
Had wind pump at south end.
Chalk was brought by wherry from Whitlingham, the bricks were fired in 4 kilns (see photograph in file), and clinker was taken to Berney Arms Mill.
Bricks (red and white) taken to buyers by water, and used to build the Aquarium and hotels in Great Yarmouth and Cement Cottages in Butt Lane, Burgh Castle.
Original cottage which was yard office survives in boat yard in front of site of original bar kiln.
Rest of buildings demolished 1920s.
See (S1).
E. Rose (NLA) 3 April 1995.

February 1995. Building Survey.
Survey of the industrial remains by the Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society (NIAS). This survey recorded 10 settling ponds, the remains of two crushing plants, the basement of the engine house, the sites of other buildings, the kiln and a deep pit.
The cottage had apparently also been demolished by this time.
See report (S2) and (S3) for further details. This work is also noted in (S4).
P. Watkins (HES), 20 March 2017.

May 2008. Norfolk NMP.
The earthworks and structures relating to the former cement and brickworks are visible on aerial photographs alongside the River Waveney (S5). None of the features were mapped as the Ordnance Survey first edition map provides sufficient detail of these components of the site. A number of earthworks have been mapped to the south of this site, also relating to brickworks (NHER 31134). Although it is possible that some of the northernmost components of the site may actually relate to the Burgh Castle brickworks and not the southern site, see 31134 for details.
S. Massey (NMP), 29 May 2008.

Monument Types

  • BRICKWORKS (Post Medieval to Modern - 1859 AD to 1912 AD)
  • CEMENT WORKS (Post Medieval to Modern - 1859 AD to 1912 AD)
  • WIND PUMP (Post Medieval to Modern - 1859 AD to 1912 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TG 4704ACZ-ADD; LOW-087.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. [Photograph of the Burgh Castle Brick and Cement Works].
<S1>Article in Serial: 1981. [unknown]. Great Yarmouth Archaeology. III, Vol I.
<S2>Unpublished Document: NIAS. 1995. NIAS Survey Report.
<S3>Archive: NIAS. Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society Records.
<S4>Article in Serial: Gurney, D. (ed.). 1996. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk 1995. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLII Pt III pp 397-412. p 398.
<S5>Vertical Aerial Photograph: RAF. 1953. RAF 82/724 0069-70 16-FEB-1953 (NMR).

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2023 Norfolk Historic Environment Service