Record Details

NHER Number:10492
Type of record:Building
Name:Six Mile or Chedgrave Detached Drainage Windmill, Haddiscoe Island


A drainage mill site by the late eighteenth century. The brick tower appears to have been rebuilt during the nineteenth century however the mill remained the older manual type, turned to wind by tailpole and fitted with common sails. The mill last worked by wind around 1946 after which a succession of diesel engines and tractors were used to power the scoopwheel. The mill retains much of its internal machinery.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 4521 0340
Map Sheet:TG40SE

Full description

Drainage pump.
Brick tower survives, with some of cap machinery.
Seen from across river.
E. Rose (NAU), 22 September 1976.

Drainage mill on this site marked on (S1).
(S2) describes as mid 19th century, four storeys, with opposing doors.
Flue within wall thickness.
Remains of capframe, windshaft and wallower; octagonal wooden upright driveshaft to cast iron wallower.
E. Rose (NAU), 9 August 1989.

August 2005. Building Survey.
Condition survey undertaken as part of Broadland Flood Alleviation Project.
See report (S3) for further details.
E. Rose (NLA), 6 September 2005. Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 10 March 2015.

A mill site probably of 18th century origin. The brick tower appears to have been partially rebuilt in the later 19th century however, the mill retained the older manual form of turning the cap into the wind and last worked with canvas covered common sails. According to (S4) it last worked by wind c. 1946, after which the mill's scoopwheel was powered by a series of diesel engines and tractors. The mill retains its windshaft, remains of the timber brakewheel, and a timber horizontal scoopwheel shaft.
(S4) includes further details of the mill, particularly its more recent history.
A. Yardy (HES), 17 August 2011.

Monument Types

  • DRAINAGE MILL (Post Medieval to Modern - 1750 AD to 2050 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 263.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797.
<S2>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1169096.
<S3>Unpublished Report: Philpot, M. and Merrick, D. 2005. Built Heritage Condition Survey Report - BHCSR01. Disused Drainage Mill (The Island). Built Heritage Condition Survey Report.
<S4>Monograph: Hutchinson, S.. 2002. The Island (The Haddiscoe Island) Past and Present.

Related records

55888Related to: Site of Six Mile House, Haddiscoe Island (Monument)
MNO3055Related to: Six Mile House Drainage Mill Chedgrave Marshes HADDISCOE (Revoked)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service