|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||St Edmund's Church, Southwood|
The ruins of a medieval church stand here. The chancel, nave and western tower survive but there is no roof. The nave is 13th century or earlier, the chancel dates to 13th century and the tower is of 13th to 15th century date.
|Grid Reference:||TG 3911 0531|
|Parish:||CANTLEY, BROADLAND, NORFOLK|
|SOUTHWOOD, BROADLAND, NORFOLK|
Early English and Perpendicular, with early use of brick.
From (S1), copy in file.
(S2) (about 1900) describes church as 'nave chancel and tower. Chancel and nave same width but nave walls thicker, so chancel wider inside'.
Door handle said to be handle of treasure chest sunk in Callow Pit, but this story occurs in many parishes.
North and south doorways, brass matrices, 17th century memorials, two coffin lids with long crosses in yard.
Tiled roof lowered and thatched 1851, but new roof still cut belfry windows! East window Early English, others Decorated. Aumbry, piscina, sedilia in lowered window. Octagonal shafted font. Formerly pinnacles on tower.
Bell, tapestry, books etc taken to Limpenhoe.
Newspaper cutting in file (S3).
Appropriate section from (S4) in file.
The chancel, nave and western tower survive but there is no roof. The nave is 13th century or earlier, the chancel dates to 13th century and the tower is of 13th to 15th century date.
Photographs (S5) and drawing (S6) in file.
D. Robertson (NLA), 30 August 2005.
Section 17 agreement signed.
D. Robertson (HES), 19 January 2012.
- CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- COFFIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- Scheduled Monument
- Listed Building
Sources and further reading
|---||Designation: [unknown]. Ancient Monuments Form. SAM Record. DNF256. |
|---||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 30 NE 2 . |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 669. |
|---||Archive: Norfolk Monuments Management Project File. |
|---||Photograph: 1990. Photographs of St Edmund's Church, Southwood. Colour. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Cantley. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Slide: Various. Slide. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2013. Spotlight on the buildings that open a window on our past. 10 October. |
|---||*Digital Archive: Norfolk Monuments Management Project Photographic Archive. |
|<S1>||Correspondence: Department of Environment. 1979. Letter from Department of Environment to County Planning Officer regarding change to scheduled area.. 15 January. |
|<S2>||Serial: Bryant, T. H.. 1898-1915. The Churches of Norfolk. Vols 1-19. Vols 1-19.. |
|<S3>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1983. In search of Southwood. 3 November. |
|<S4>||Monograph: Batcock, N. 1991. The Ruined and Disused Churches of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 51. Microfiche 5:G12. No 58; p 51. |
|<S5>||Photograph: Batcock, N.. St Edmund's Chuch, Southwood. |
|<S6>||Illustration: Ladbrooke. early 19th c. [unknown]. 1. |
|<S7>||Unpublished Document: Norfolk County Council. 2011-2012. Norfolk Monuments Management Project Section 17 agreement. |
|MNO2287||Related to: Remains of Church of St Edmunds, Southwood, CANTLEY (Revoked)|
Find out more...