Record Details

NHER Number:9905
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of St Michael's Church, Poringland


St Michael's medieval church stood here until its demolition in about 1540. The site is now a stackyard, and it is far from obvious that there was ever a church here.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 2626 0102
Map Sheet:TG20SE

Full description

26 October 1977. Site visit by E. Rose (NAU).
Site of St Michael's Church, West Poringland, demolished in about 1540.
In Blomefield's time the walls stood 7ft high (S1). The site is now a stackyard, and the present tenant of the farm did not even know of its existence.
Appropriate section from reference (S2) in file.
E. Rose (NAU).

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1901. Hundred of Henstead. The Churches of Norfolk. Vol VII. pp 58-59.
---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 20 SE 6.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Poringland.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Serial: Blomefield, F.. 1806. An Essay Towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk.. Vol V. pp 444-445.
<S2>Monograph: Batcock, N. 1991. The Ruined and Disused Churches of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 51. Microfiche 5:G12. No 205; p 54.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service