|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Ruins of St Botolph's church, Shotesham|
This is the site of St Botolph’s church which was destroyed at the Reformation. In 1965 a number of medieval and post medieval pottery sherds were recovered from here, including pieces from brown- and green-glazed wares. A visit in 1976 found that only a few amorphous overgrown humps remained but did note that the tower foundation was square. However, a repeat visit in 2000 found that the whole site was covered in thick undergrowth, making any further investigations impossible. In 2013, the site was clear of undergrowth and being managed and the remains of the church are visible.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 2396 9932|
|Parish:||SHOTESHAM, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Site of church. Destroyed at Reformation.
(S1) noted that the tower foundation was square.
E. Rose (NAU).
1965. Field Observation. 92m (100yds) southeast of Church Farm
Field Observation by K. R. Wade and D. Smith, who reported that after the ploughing of Botolph's churchyard, this revealed a collection of sherds which included thin smooth and hard early medieval type (1000-1150), other 13th - 14th century sherds, green-glaze 13th century Grimston type and 14th century green-glaze red ware and brown glaze
Post medieval sherd date between 17th - 19th century.
E. B. Green (NCM).
Reported in (S2) and (S3) for short summery see (S5).
Only a few amorphous overgrown humps remain.
Church Cottage opposite is said to have been the priest's house, but it is modern with one brick gable that may not be all that old (but H. Paterson (NLA) says there is an older interior with beams. To be investigated).
E. Rose (NAU) 24 April 1976.
Appropriate section from reference (S4) in file.
Whole site covered in thick undergrowth. This made identification of any 'humps' mentioned in 1976 entry impossible. Despite various attempts over several months to contact a member of PCC (name given by Diocesan Advisory Committee) it has been impossible to trace anyone. The site remains subject to faculty jurisdiction.
H. Paterson (A&E) 8 January 2003.
Site visit and digital photo record. Sign on gate, the site of the church completely cleared of vegetation and being actively managed, the ruins visible and a bench installed at the far end of the site overlooking a local viewpoint. There is some local interest in investigating the ruins and a project to take this forward may be devised. What is visible appears to be the remains of the square tower at the west end of the church, principally the west wall and possible evidence of buttress at the south-west and north-west angles.
D. Gurney (HES), 29 November 2013.
- CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1901. Hundred of Henstead. The Churches of Norfolk. Vol VII. pp 84-87. |
|---||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TM 29 NW 7 . |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 648. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Shotesham. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Serial: Blomefield, F.. 1806. An Essay Towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk.. Vol V. |
|<S2>||Serial: 1965. Council for British Archaeology Group 7 Bulletin of Archaeological Discoveries for 1965. No 12. |
|<S3>||Article in Serial: Smith, D.. 1969. A Preliminary Report on the Deserted Medieval Village of Shotesham St Mary, Henstead Hundred, in the County of Norfolk, England.. Gwynedd Journal. pp 170-85. |
|<S4>||Monograph: Batcock, N. 1991. The Ruined and Disused Churches of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 51. Microfiche 5:G12. No 128; p 53. |
|<S5>||Article in Serial: Wilson, D. M. and Hurst, D. G. 1967. Medieval Britain in 1965. Medieval Archaeology. Vol X pp 168-219. p 186. |
Related records - none
Find out more...