Record Details

NHER Number:9502
Type of record:Building
Name:St Peter's Church, East Carleton


The ruins of St Peter's Church, which was abandoned by the mid 16th century. St Peter's is in the same churchyard as St Mary's Church, NHER 9517 , and the two churches were united in 1441.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 1802 0205
Map Sheet:TG10SE

Full description

Only one flint wall about 1m high and 3m long, said to be from the tower, remains in what was formerly a separate churchyard, which is now part of St Mary's churchyard.
Visited E. Rose (NAU) 9 November 1978.

5 October 1998. Visit.
No change.
E. Rose (NAU) 5 October 1998.

(S1) states that St Peter's belonged to the Priory of Shouldham, and was united with St Mary's by 1441. The church had probably been abandoned by about 1550. Uniquely, both churches are recorded in Domesday Book.
See (S1).
S. Spooner (NLA) 1 November 2005

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 10 SE 10.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 318.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Carleton (East).
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Monograph: Batcock, N. 1991. The Ruined and Disused Churches of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 51. Microfiche 5:G12. No 115; p 53.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service