Record Details

NHER Number:9446
Type of record:Monument
Name:Wymondham Market Cross


The Market Cross is a timber-framed structure erected in 1617-1618 following the destruction of its predecessor in 1615. The building itself consists of an octagonal building supported over an open ground floor by eight timber buttress-like posts and a middle post. The is a little carved decoration on the upper floor, which is reached by an outer stair from the back, and the building is crowned by a pyramidal roof. The building now houses the Tourist Information Centre.


  • An old photograph of the Market Cross in Wymondham. Probably taken in the 1970s.  © Norfolk Museums & Archaeology Service


Grid Reference:TG 1106 0147
Map Sheet:TG10SW

Full description

Built around 1617 on site of medieval cross.
Detailed description in file (S1).
Compiled by E. Rose (NLA) 25 June 1990.

April 2010.
The Market Cross suffered minor fire damage after a spate of vandalism,
See (S2) for further details,
H. White, (NLA), 29 April 2010

Monument Types

  • CROSS (Medieval to 17th Century - 1066 AD? to 1615 AD?)
  • BUILDING (17th Century to 21st Century - 1617 AD to 2100 AD)
  • MARKET CROSS (17th Century to 21st Century - 1617 AD to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • Scheduled Monument

Sources and further reading

---Designation: [unknown]. Ancient Monuments Form. SAM Record. DNF27.
---Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1996. TG 1101W - Z.
---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 10 SW 3 [3].
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Publication: Mossby and Agar. 1949. Wymondham Old and New.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2010. Arsonists in bid to burn iconic cross. 29 April.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2010. Heaps of history and a market too. 2 February.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 798; Pl 71.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Photograph: BPF18.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Post-Medieval. Wymondham.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1979. Overhaul for Wymondham cross. 11 April.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1983. Cross repairs start soon. 9 February.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1988. [Articles on the cost of restoring the Wymondham Market Cross].
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1989. New scratchings for old as cross has a facelift. 3 March.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1989-1990. [Articles on the proposal for Wymondham Market Cross becoming a tourist office].
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1989. Messy Market Cross sparks limewash row. 11 August.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. Vandals warning as cross reopens.
<S1>Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 1990. Building Report. Building Report.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service