Record Details

NHER Number:9296
Type of record:Building
Name:SS Mary and Walstan's Church, Bawburgh


A round-towered pre-conquest church with a chapel dedicated to the Norfolk saint Walstan. Only one ruined wall of this chapel now survives. The rest of the church is in Perpendicular and Decorated style, and was repaired in the 14th and 17th centuries.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 1527 0863
Map Sheet:TG10NE

Full description

13 October 1976. Visited E. Rose (NAU).
Round tower called pre-conquest by (S1), but not mentioned by (S2).
It has little round-headed bell openings, and a 19th century window in Decorated style at base; with conical roof topped by a modern sculpture of a flame. Chancel has intersected tracery east window and lancets, cusped on south, of 1309. Priests door. Nave has Perpendicular windows still with Decorated features - one very grand pure Perpendicular window built into the blocked arch that led to St. Walstan's chapel, of which part of a wall survives outside, and therefore is either very late for its style or reset. Stepped nave gables of brick from repairs of 1633, not exactly on old roof line, marks of heightening at south-west corner. Blocked north door; above it wall is strangely out of alignment with a clamp iron; but perhaps this is accentuated by the later roof. Stone quoins north-west and south-west corners. Large late brick buttresses on north. Traces of rood turret on south. South porch early Perpendicular also; part of a ruined wall projects where it joins nave. Poppyhead bench ends. Fragments of screen.
15th century stained glass. Brasses of 1500, 1505, 1531 and 1660. Chalice (Norwich) 1697, Paten (London) 1768 African brass almsdish.
Interior inaccessible - interior details from (S3).
E. Rose (NAU).

Vicar in 1864 claimed nave roof had badge of Edward IV 1461-1483. This would suit Perpendicular windows.
See (S4).
E. Rose (NAU).

The chancel rebuilding of 1309 was carried out with the profits from the offerings at the shrine of St Walstan, see (S4). However (S5) contradicts this, saying it is a misunderstanding of the Tanner index.
E.Rose (NLA), 6 March 2004.

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Medieval to 19th Century - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1905. Hundred of Forehoe. The Churches of Norfolk. Vol XVII. pp 21-30.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1989. A new role for Norfolk's gentle giant. 23 January.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1988. [Photograph of SS Mary and Walstan's Church, Bawburgh]. 6 June.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1987. The forgotten saint of Bixley. 2 July.
---Article in Serial: Hart, R. 1864. The Shrines and Pilgrimages of the County of Norfolk. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol VI pp 277-294. pp 280-281.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 196.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Late Saxon. Bawburgh.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Publication: Cautley. [unknown].
<S2>Publication: Taylor, H. M. and Taylor, J. 1965. Anglo-Saxon Architecture.
<S3>Article in Serial: Plunkett, G. A. F. 1979. Norfolk Church Screens - 1865 Survey. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXXVII Pt II pp 178-189. p 180.
<S4>Monograph: Harper-Bill, C.. 2002. Searching for Salvation in Anglo-Norman East Anglia.. East Anglia's History. p 33.
<S5>Article in Serial: Halliday, R. 2003. St. Walstan of Bawburgh. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLIV Pt II pp 316-325.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service