Record Details

NHER Number:9067
Type of record:Building
Name:All Saints' Church, Snetterton


This church stood derelict until 1982 when it was restored by a monk who converted it into a monastic residence. The plain battlemented west tower dates to the 14th century and the chancel is in the Early English style. The nave dates to the Decorated period but has had one wall replaced in brick. The small west door has a very pointed tower arch whereas the north door and porch are much simpler affairs. Few of the internal furnishings remain, as the screen, organ, paten and chalice are gone, with only the 19th century font left. A number of Roman, Saxon and medieval pottery sherds were recovered from the church grounds during 1991.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TL 994 910
Map Sheet:TL99SE

Full description

2 August 1978. Site visit by E. Rose (NAU).
Derelict - close inspection not possible owing to danger of falling masonry.
Chancel basically Early English - lancet in north wall, Y-tracery window in south south priest's door; (S1) mentions Early English piscina. Decorated north and south chancel windows also, whereas east window is 19th century in Decorated style - how near original? Tower early Decorated - west window cusped Y-tracery; sound holes are lancets west and north, cusped lancet south; belfry windows variations on cusped tracery. Small west door; very pointed tower arch. Nave probably Decorated originally see south door and south porch with cusped Y-tracery windows heightened with sundial in 19th century - nave wall replaced in brick. North door and porch much simpler (doorway largely destroyed) but still Decorated. Perpendicular north and south windows. Perpendicular north arcade according to (S1).
(S1) also mentions Decorated screen with ribbed coving; chalice, Norwich 1567; paten, London 1570 (one assumes gone). Organ was of 1880 from Banham Grammar School. 19th century font remains.
E. Rose (NAU) 2 August 1978.

Medieval bellframe - information from Diocese states four bells went to Barton Turf 1984.
E. Rose (NAU).

Under restoration by monks 1982.
E. Rose (NAU).

Press cuttings in file.

2 May 1991. Casual finds. In mole-hills and bare soil and on west and south sides of church.
One rim and one base Roman greyware.
One base pimply Early medieval.
Three bases probably Thetford type.
A. Rogerson (NLA) 5 June 1991.

Appropriate section from reference (S6) in file.

April 2000. Bell and bellframe survey.
The four bells were removed from the tower in 1983 and moved to Barton Turf. They were cast by John Darbie of Ipswich in 1672. The bell frame was originally designed for three bells, but a fourth was added in 1672 by cutting away the top ends of the central pit.
See (S7) for further details
H. White, (NLA), 29 September 2009

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • POT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
  • DOOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • DOOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • Xbell frame (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • FONT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TL9990 A,B; TL9991 A,B.
---Unpublished Document: Cattermole, P.. 2000. Inventory of church bells and bell-frames in Norfolk.
---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TL 99 SE 34.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 654.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Monograph: Pevsner, N. 1962. North-West and South Norfolk. The Buildings of England. 1st Edition. p 316.
<S2>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1984. Ringing changes for old bells. 23 July.
<S3>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1979. She will be wed in disused church. 31 August.
<S5>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1981-1982. [Articles on the restoration of All Saints' Church, Snetterton].
<S6>Monograph: Batcock, N. 1991. The Ruined and Disused Churches of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 51. Microfiche 5:G12. No 28; p 51.

Related records - none

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service