Record Details

NHER Number:9016
Type of record:Building
Name:Former post medieval windmill


The windmill here was built in 1875, but was last used in 1945 before being converted to a house in 1958. It is believed that this mill stood on the site of an earlier mill and the last recorded miller was in 1883.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TL 9250 9057
Map Sheet:TL99SW

Full description

Ordnance Survey card says last used 1845, but in fact this tower mill was not built until 1875, and was converted to a house 1958 (so should read 1945?) However the last recorded miller was in 1883.
E. Rose (NAU) 24 March 1982.

Press cutting (S1) in file.

However the mill replaces an older one on the same site marked as Wretham Mill on the first edition 1in Ordnance Survey map (S2) and Bryant's map (S3) thus the above information presumably applies to an earlier mill.
E. Rose (NLA) 3 December 2002.

Monument Types

  • WINDMILL (19th Century to World War Two - 1875 AD to 1945 AD)
  • HOUSE (Mid 20th Century to 21st Century - 1958 AD to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2000. [Sale advertisement for East Wretham's former mill]. 4 February.
<S2>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1824-1836. Ordnance Survey First Edition 1 inch..
<S3>Map: Bryant, A.. 1826. Bryant's Map of Norfolk.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service