Record Details

NHER Number:8951
Type of record:Building
Name:College Farmhouse, medieval chantry college


In 1349 Sir Thomas and John de Shardelow founded and built a college dedicated to St Martin, Blessed Virgin Mary and All Saints. It was rebuilt around 1400 when the master was Alexander de Horstead, and the college was surrendered in August 1534. The building remains under a heavy 17th century list of alterations, and a new 18th century west front and façade. Inside some 16th century panelling survives, as do tripe and double roll-moulded bridging beams and joists of the early 16th century.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TL 9326 9660
Map Sheet:TL99NW

Full description

College of St Martin, Blessed Virgin Mary and All Saints, ?1272 - 1546. Many remains in farm which also has fine 16th century beams and Jacobean woodwork. Fish pond. Well restored.

See RCHME report 1974, with additional notes by E. Rose (NAU), 1982, in file.
Comp. E. Rose 21 July 1982.

(S1) in file.

See (S2).
E. Rose (NLA), 27 September 2004.

November 2012
See (S3) for a brief history of the College and its buildings.
P. Watkins (HES)

Monument Types

  • CHANTRY COLLEGE (Medieval to 16th Century - 1349 AD to 1534 AD)
  • FISHPOND (Medieval to 16th Century - 1349 AD to 1534 AD)
  • HOUSE (Medieval to 21st Century - 1349 AD to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TL9396A, B.
---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TL 99 NW 7 [5].
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Publication: Knowles, D. and Hadcock, R. N. 1971. Medieval Religious Houses of England and Wales. pp 418, 441.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, B. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 723.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Thompson.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-[2000]. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service.
<S1>Unpublished Document: UEA. UEA survey of 19th century farm buildings.
<S2>Publication: Jeffery, P.. 2004. The Collegiate Churches of England and Wales.. p 242.
<S3>Article in Serial: Whittingham, A. 1980. Thompson College. The Archaeological Journal. Vol 137 pp 357-358.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service