Record Details

NHER Number:8931
Type of record:Building
Name:St George's School, formerly Forehoe Incorporation House of Industry and Mill House Hospital


This workhouse later became Mill House Hospital before operating as St George's School. It was built in 1776 at great cost, and has a staggering twenty-one bay southeast front, with the end pairs of bays projecting as wings and the central five projecting under a pediment. Despite being such a long building it only has two storeys, although many later additions have been made. This large building has now been converted into housing.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 0792 0179
Map Sheet:TG00SE

Full description

Workhouse, later Mill House Hospital, now St George's School. 1776, at cost of £11000 according to Pevsner. Twenty-one bay southeast front; end pairs of bays project as wings, central five project under pediment with next bay on each side projecting half as far. Two storeys; far too long for its height. Many later additons. Formerly (still?) had a pulpit and panelled screen in the dining hall and a bell dated 1624.
Seen by E. Rose (NAU) 6 December 1978.

The pulpit was given to Wymondham Museum in 1988 - Information from South Norfolk District Council.
But in fact it never arrived. Information from Museum January 2001.
E. Rose (NAU) 16 January 1989.

Architects plans (S1) August 1987 in file.
See also press cutting (S2).

See (S3) for detailed account and history, including the fact that the façade once had an open arcade, later infilled, as at Gressenhall. It also suggests the building was designed by Thomas Ivory.
E. Rose (NLA) 4 January 2001.

Building now converted to housing.

Monument Types

  • HOSPITAL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • SCHOOL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • WORKHOUSE (18th Century to 19th Century - 1776 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TG0701 A-C,D-G.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 776.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans.
<S2>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1987. Pool for terrace houses in plan. 20 August.
<S3>Article in Serial: Garner, M.. 2000. Sir A. Wodehouse and the Wicklewood House of Industry.. The Annual. No 9. p 48ff.

Related records

MNO5763Related to: St. George's School Hospital Road WICKLEWOOD (Revoked)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service