|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||St Michael's Church, Coston|
This is an unusual and important ecclesiastical building of 13th century date, and was probably built here following the establishment of the palace of the Archdeacons of Norfolk on the adjacent site. The building itself is largely flint, with plastered nave and chancel walls, 16th century red brick porch and red brick supports to the chancel. The belfry stage to the tower is 14th century, as are the Y-tracery windows and the crenellated parapet. Inside, a 13th century pisicina survives, as does the 15th century roof with cambered ties on arched braces. There is also a surviving 14th or 15th century font, and a Jacobean pulpit. Outside, the small graveyard has a touching memorial from 1883 to a young man tragically killed when he was hit by the sail of Runham mill.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 0622 0621|
|Parish:||COSTON, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
|RUNHALL, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
13th century church, probably rebuilt after the establishment of the palace of the Archdeacons of Norfolk on the adjacent site. Unusual and important survival. 14th to 15th century parapet and one window; chancel reduced 1809. Unusual nave roof perhaps of early 18th century.
(S1) in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 17 August 2006.
March 1994. Small holes dug at southeast and northeast corners of chancel on extension of east wall exposing inner edges of bases of north and south chancel walls. One to two courses of flint surviving around 7cm below ground level; therefore chancel was at least 0.6m longer.
A.Rogerson (NLA) 8 March 1994.
Appropriate section from (S2) in file.
25 March 2006. Casual find in churchyard.
A. Rogerson (NLA), 26 March 2006.
22 December 2006.
Part of altar exposed during repair of pulpit. Without exploratory works, it is not possible to establish the exact relationship between this structure and the standing walls. Evidence for medieval altars is extremely rare, and therefore this discovery is of considerable interest.
See description and plans in file.
A. Rogerson (NLA), 8 February 2007.
- ALTAR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- CHURCH (12th Century to 21st Century - 1200 AD to 2100 AD)
- DOOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- COMMEMORATIVE STONE (19th Century to 21st Century - 1883 AD to 2050 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: TG0606C-G. |
|---||Serial: Blomefield, F.. 1805. An Essay Towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk.. Vol II. |
|---||Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1905. Hundred of Forehoe. The Churches of Norfolk. Vol XVII. pp 79-83. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 272-273. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 2006. Building Report.. Building Report. |
|<S2>||Monograph: Batcock, N. 1991. The Ruined and Disused Churches of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 51. Microfiche 5:G12. No 9; p 50. |
Related records - none
Find out more...