|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Bickerston deserted medieval village and ruin of St Andrew's Church, Barnham Broom|
This is the site of Bickerston village. The settlement was mentioned in the Domesday Book and in 14th century documents but was abandoned later, possibly by the 17th century. The only visible remains are two walls from the chancel of the medieval St Andrew's church. Metal detecting in 1980 recovered a 14th century coin from within the church ruins.
|Grid Reference:||TG 0860 0873|
|Parish:||BARNHAM BROOM, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Remains of a deserted medieval village.
(S1) noted and drew the church with a very small east window, one window in north and south chancel walls (apparently round-headed); the gable between nave and chancel; and the 'site of the tower'. He noted 'several large bricks like Roman, no freestone'.
Ordnance Survey card states the church was used as a farm store as early as 1633.
The village was mentioned in (S2).
Nomina Villarum, thirteen tax payers in 1329, six in 1332, Black Death relief 1352-4.
(S3) states that it stood 'by the river' but the exact limits are not known, and no traces were found on aerial photographs by Ordnance Survey inspectors.
All that remains of the church are two short sections of wall about 2.5m high (north) and 2m (south); they appear to be the western end of the building. Both are of flint with some bricks that could well be Roman. The flint is coursed on both faces at the base of the wall but rough above apparently due to robbing - the opposite way round to usual. Rough embrasures of window in north wall, and possibly part of one in south. Stands on mound. Two bushes grow inside, and interior is also used as a wood store. No visible traces of village in this field (pasture), but see NHER 11907 etc.
E. Rose (NAU) 5 November 1980.
1982. Metal detecting
Found within church ruins. Hammered penny of Edward I, II or III York mint; struck off centre and clipped.
S. Margeson (NCM) 1 December 1982.
Appropriate section from (S4) in file.
Church dedicated to St Andrew.
Ruins are north and south walls of the chancel.
D. Robertson (NLA) 20 July 2005.
Field remains under grazed pasture, with no evidence of earthworks. Ruins of church, two short sections of wall (as in 1980).
H. Paterson (A&E) 27 September 2005.
- CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- DESERTED SETTLEMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- TILE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- COIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Photograph: S2-3. |
|---||Aerial Photograph: TG0808A, B, D-H. |
|---||Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1905. Hundred of Forehoe. The Churches of Norfolk. Vol XVII. pp 31-34. |
|---||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 00 NE 1 . |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 205. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Barnham Broom. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Slide: Various. Slide. |
|<S1>||Documentary Source: Martin, T. c. 1700-1799. Collections of Church Notes. Norfolk Records Office. c. 1730. |
|<S2>||Publication: Brown, P (ed.). 1984. Domesday Book: Norfolk. Parts 1 and 2. |
|<S3>||Serial: Blomefield, F.. 1805-1810. An Essay Towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk.. Volume Unknown. |
|<S4>||Monograph: Batcock, N. 1991. The Ruined and Disused Churches of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 51. Microfiche 5:G12. No 68; p 52. |
Related records - none
Find out more...