Record Details

NHER Number:8600
Type of record:Building
Name:St Edmund's Church, Acle


A medieval church, dating mainly from the 14th century, but with a round tower dating from the 12th century. The building is thatched, with a 15th century font which has traces of the original paintwork, as well as a small model font, of around the same date, about 30cm high. The church was restored in the 19th century.


  • St Edmund's Church, Acle  © Norfolk Museums & Archaeology Service


Grid Reference:TG 4012 1029
Map Sheet:TG41SW

Full description

September 1962. Listed, Grade I.
Listing Description excerpt:
13th and 14th century with some restoration in the 1860's by R.M. Phipson (nave) and Ewan Christian (chancel). Flint with limestone and brick dressings. Nave roof thatched, chancel slated; lead roofs to north and south porches. West tower, nave, chancel, north and south porches. Round west tower with 13th-century octagonal bell stage with tall single lancet in each face. 15th-century embattled parapet with flushwork panels and corner pinnacles in the form of figures on octagonal bases...15th-century two-storey south porch...Nave windows generally of early 14th-century with cusped 'Y' tracery, some restored. Earlier two-light window without cusping on west side of porch. 16th-century rood stair turret at south east corner of nave...15th-century north porch of knapped and galleted flint with polygonal stair turret at north east angle...19th-century flue of stone-dressed flint on west side, with octagonal stone chimney cap. Roofs 19th century; ribbed barrel vault with boarded ceiling over nave, scissor-braced rafter roof over chancel. Rood stair turret at south east corner of nave contains reconstructed remains of Romanesque doorway found in nave walls in 1927. 15th-century screen with two-light divisions with ogee heads in two tiers. Painted panels in base. Very fine 15th-century octagonal font on two steps, the upper one decorated with quatrefoils and an inscription giving the date 1410. Stem carved with four lions and four wild men. The panels of the bowl carved with the Trinity, four angels, a Pieta and angels with the Instruments of the Passion and the Evangelistic symbols. Remains of original colouring. 19th-century stone tower screen with central ogee-headed doorway. North wall of chancel has 14th-century inscription referring to the Black Death of 1349…
Information from (S1).
Please consult the National Heritage List for England (S1) for the current listing details.
P. Watkins (HES), 19 July 2021.

Round tower, suggested as Late Saxon but more probably Norman.
13th century top.
Reassembled Norman doorway, otherwise church is Decorated 14th century with Perpendicular alterations and important 19th century restoration by R. M. Phipson and Ewan Christian (architects).
Good font of 1410 and model font of same date.
Decorated rood screen.
Purbeck marble coffin lid removed into church from graveyard 1984.
See (S1) and (S2).
E. Rose, (NAU) 6 December 1989.

19th century sewer discovered in churchyard.
Notes in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 13 December 2001.

June 2013.
New, thoroughly researched, guide to the church. See (S3).
S. Heywood (HES), 6 December 2013

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Medieval to 19th Century - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • COFFIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • DOOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • DOOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • FONT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • PISCINA (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Publication: Cautley. [unknown]. 1.
---Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1996. TG 4010H.
---Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1996. TG 3910J - L.
---Documentary Source: Martin, T. c. 1700-1799. Collections of Church Notes. Norfolk Records Office. Walter Rye Collection. RYE 17..
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 357-358.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2010. Town that used to be beside the sea. 2 February.
---Leaflet: The parish church of St Edmund, King and Martye, Acle..
---Monograph: Hart, S.. 2010. Medieval Church Window Tracery in England. p 97.
---Slide: Norfolk County Council. A slide of St Edmund's Church, Acle.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Late Saxon. Acle.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1987. [Photograph of St Edmund's Church, Acle]. 28 March.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1995-1996. [Articles on the restoration of the roof at St Edmund's Church, Acle].
---Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-[2000]. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service.
<S1>Designation: Historic England. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1372674.
<S2>Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 1978. Building Report.. Building Report.
<S3>Unpublished Document: Rev'd Martin Greenland. 2013. The Parish Church of St Edmund, Acle.

Related records

65145Parent of: Medieval and post-medieval burials, churchyard of St Edmund's Church (Monument)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2023 Norfolk Historic Environment Service