|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of St Leonard's Leper Hospital|
A leper hospital was established on this site during the 1180s. It was dissolved in the late 14th/early 15th century when it was described as 'desolate'. There are reports that human bones have been found on the site which is now used as a garden.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 4756 1970|
|Parish:||SOMERTON, GREAT YARMOUTH, NORFOLK|
Site of St Leonard's Leper Hospital at 'Queengate'.
Founded 1180 to 1189; dependant on Butley. Dissolved about 1399 when regranted to Butley because it was 'desolate' with only four lepers in 1397.
Compare with (S1).
Many human bones found around site.
Information from (S2).
The site was a pony training ring in 1977.
Site now part of Hall garden. No human skeletal remains found in digging service trenches further north at Hall.
E. Rose (NAU), 28 October 1981.
- LEPER HOSPITAL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- HUMAN REMAINS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Somerton. |
|<S1>||Publication: Knowles, D. and Hadcock, R. N. 1971. Medieval Religious Houses of England and Wales. pp 336, 402. |
|<S2>||Directory: White, W.. 1845. White's History, Gazetteer and Directory of Norfolk. |
|<S3>||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 41 NE 2. |
Related records - none
Find out more...