Record Details

NHER Number:8425
Type of record:Monument
Name:Wroxham Bridge


This is a single arch brick-built bridge with a now illegible datestone of 1619, faced in stone on each side. Parts of the original brickwork remain on the northwest side, but black brickwork on the southeast suggests an 18th century widening of the structure, the stone facing on that side being reset. Further work was carried out in the 19th century.
A Bailey bridge was erected over the original bridge in 1969, this itself being replaced by an umbrella bridge in 1992.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 3031 1812
Map Sheet:TG31NW

Full description

A single arch brick built bridge with a date on it of 1619. The structure itself is probably originally of that date, but it may have been partly rebuilt early in the eighteenth century.
Information from (S1).
J. Allen (NLA), 17 April, 2002.

September 1982. Visited.
Faced in stone on each side in vaguely classical style. On keystone to southeast is an illegible date said on schedule (S2) to be 1619. Underside of arch is in red brick to northwest but black brick to southeast; former seems original of 1619, latter is probably part of 18th century widening suggested by Department of the Environment, the stone facing on this side being reset. Traces of 18th or 19th century brick parapets but modern iron ramp now covers top and footbridge alongside on southeast.
E. Rose (NAU), September 1982.

A country rate was levied in 1576 to rebuild the bridge according to D. Diamond (UEA lecturer). Story that the stone came from St Benet's Abbey, and that the parapets bore a date in the 1890s, recounted in (S3); chairman of parish council states that council minute books show clearly that bridge was widened in 1897 at a cost of 300 pounds, and not in 18th century. Coping stones now in Broadland District Council depot.
E. Rose (NAU), 23 March 1984.

(S4) and (S5) in file.

Since the construction of the new footbridge further away to the southeast and the replacement of the ramp, a closer inspection is possible of the southeast face. The date is now completely weathered away. The present brick parapet on this side is totally 19th century. Some of the coping stones have been reset on top of it.
E. Rose (NLA), 31 May 2005.

Monument Types

  • BRIDGE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Scheduled Monument

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TG3018A, B, F, G.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1992. Diversions as bridge built. 3 April.
---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 31 NW 4.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Photograph: Photograph of Wroxham bridge, Wroxham. Black & white.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Post-Medieval. Wroxham.
---Newspaper Article: [Photograph of Wroxham Bridge].
---Photograph: FNA 15-18.
<S1>Designation: Corbishley, M.J.. 1983. AM107.
<S2>Designation: [unknown]. Ancient Monuments Form. SAM Record. DNF248.
<S3>Article in Serial: Millican, P. 1938. The Rebuilding of Wroxham Bridge, 1576. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXVI Pt III pp 281-295.
<S4>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1984. Old bridge stones sought. 26 January.
<S5>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1984. [Article on the history of the Wroxham Bridge]. 20 February.

Related records

41908Related to: 'Bog bodies' at Wroxham Bridge footbridge (Monument)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service