Record Details

NHER Number:8411
Type of record:Building
Name:All Saints' Church, Horsey


This lovely round towered flint church mostly dates to the 12th or 13th century. The tower was built in the 13th century and the octagonal belfry was added in the late 14th century. The building was restored in 1855 when most of the windows, doorways and tower window were replaced and the roof was thatched. Inside there is an octagonal 13th century font, an early 16th century screen and a beautiful 19th century stained glass portrait of Miss Catherine Ursula Rising.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 4578 2303
Map Sheet:TG42SE

Full description

May 1977. Visit.
Tower round below nave roof level, around 1.5m (5 feet) thick near base as shown by east window. Upper part narrower, octagonal corners in medieval brick; belfry windows cusped lancets (early 14th century). Battlements Perpendicular or 19th century. Narrow tower arch, chamfered at top. Nave and chancel in one, but part of old stone quoins remain under the eaves between nave and chancel on south. Flint, brick southwest quoins, stone on northwest. Unusually thick stone and flint buttress near northwest corner; remains of another north of chancel. Three other buttresses here, all faced in 19th century brick, one is against medieval brick rood turret, of which stairs and both doors remain inside. Chancel southeast window is a cusped lancet, stepped out inside to form an unusual sedilia. Southwest chancel window similar, but with a squared head. Nave southwest window lancet with more elaborate cusped tracery, and straight hoodmould. Other windows - east, two nave south, one nave north - all 19th century in early Perpendicular style (preserving original form?). West window 19th century in Decorated style, but central mullion is original. Simple pointed north and south doors. South porch Perpendicular with remains of niche, benches, and
blocked windows; faced in squared flint. Step to church is medieval coffin slab, floor of porch 19th century tombs. Roof 19th century thatched; in nave kingposts on braced tiebeams, and in chancel trussed rafter roof with braces. 14th century south priest's door. Piscina in chancel, large, with remnants of tracery, and petalled bowl. Three aumbries together with hinges. Octagonal Perpendicular font. Carved Perpendicular screen (base renewed) and poppyhead benches. Good 19th century stained glass including portrait of Miss C.U. Rising, 1890. Chalice, London 1666. Outside the north door is a round stone slab like a font base or cross base.
E. Rose (NAU).

In 1630 Bishop Wren of Norwich complained that the church 'stands almost within the sea.'
E. Rose (NLA), 24 August 2006.

April 2009.
Entire church roof re-thatched, and some of the stonework repointed.
See (S2).
H. White (NLA), 7 April 2009

June 2009.
Donation box was ripped from the wall, causing major damage to the building.
See (S3).
H. White (NLA), 1 July 2009

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Medieval to 21st Century - 1066 AD to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds

  • COFFIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • FONT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • ROOD SCREEN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • WINDOW (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 563-564.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2009. Coastal church crawl will highlight history. 14 May.
---Leaflet: Simon Cotton & Roy Tricker. All Saints Church, Horsey..
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1980. [Article on the fund raising for restoration work at All Saints' Church, Horsey]. 7 June.
<S1>Publication: Sharpe, K.. 1992. The Personal Rule of Charles I. p 317.
<S2>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2009. Villagers celebrate church's new thatched roof. 6 April.
<S3>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2009. Church damaged as thieves tear out its donations box. 25 June.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service