Record Details

NHER Number:8379
Type of record:Building
Name:St Andrew's Church, Hempstead, Lessingham

Summary

This church consists of a late 13th century chancel, with a largely 15th century nave, west tower and rather grand south porch. The roofs of the nave and chancel date from a restoration of 1878. Inside is a 15th century rood screen with a painted display of saints, one of which, St Eligious, the patron saint of farriers, was stolen in 1982 and never recovered. There is also a 15th century stone font with lions on its base, a fine early 17th century pulpit on legs and a reading desk of about the same date. Slightly out of place are three massive baroque bench ends that came from King's College Chapel in Cambridge.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 4033 2841
Map Sheet:TG42NW
Parish:HEMPSTEAD WITH ECCLES, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK
LESSINGHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Early English chancel, very crude. Base of tower and nave west wall pre-date 15th century nave and porch. Tower top an addition, perhaps 15th century. Important rood screen.
See report (S1), photographs (S2) and press cuttings (S3) and (S4) in file.
E. Rose (NAU), 23 February 1989.

April 1955. Listed, Grade II*.
See (S5) for the complete listing details.

1989. Field Observation.
Investigation of the floor levels in the nave following removal of Victorian floorboarding. Medieval copper items, wall plaster and a prehistoric flint flake found under floor by [1].
See report (S6) for further details.
E. Rose (NLA), 18 February 2000.

August 2012. Building recording
Architectural history. Late 13th century chancel, 15th centruy nave tower and porch. See no evidence for putative theory about there having been aisles.see (S7)
S. Heywood (HES), 2 November 2012

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • NAIL (Undated)
  • UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Undated)
  • Xbell frame (Undated)
  • FLAKE (Lower Palaeolithic to Late Iron Age - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
  • LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Lower Palaeolithic to Late Iron Age - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
  • ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • DOOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • DOOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • DOOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • FONT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • LACE TAG (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • PIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TG4028A-C.
---Article in Serial: 1984. Proceedings of the Summer Meeting of the Royal Archaeological Institute at Kingston upon Hull in 1984. The Archaeological Journal. Vol 141 pp 1-60. p 40.
---Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1900. Hundred of Happing. The Churches of Norfolk.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 545-546.
---Website: Knott, S.. 2005. St Andrew, Hempstead. http://www.norfolkchurches.co.uk/hempstead/hempstead.htm. 25 June 2010.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-[2000]. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service.
<S1>Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 1989. Building Report.. Building Report.
<S2>Photograph: EQT 23-8.
<S3>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1982. £11,000 painting stolen from church. 18 March.
<S4>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1993. Outraged public rallies to church of tears. 1 November.
<S5>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1373720.
<S6>Unpublished Report: Pestell, T. J. 1989. Archaeological Investigations Within The Church of St Andrew's, Hempstead with Eccles.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2022 Norfolk Historic Environment Service