Record Details

NHER Number:8372
Type of record:Building
Name:St John's Church, Waxham, Sea Palling


The nave was originally 12th century, altered in the 13th century and then remodelled in the 14th century when the chancel was built. The west tower and south porch are 15th century. The chancel has long since been in ruins and the tower looks as if it had intentions of going the same way. Its features are eroded and the west window is filled with bricks, themselves wearing away. The huge tower arch and the chancel arch are also bricked up. The interior is pleasantly simple, with a 14th century octagonal font on a brick base, green with damp and surrounded by Victorian tiles. In the north wall of the nave is a banner staff locker, and close by a large late 16th century memorial with a painted inscription to Thomas Wodehouse, who built the Great Barn nearby.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 4405 2622
Map Sheet:TG42NW

Full description

With ruined chancel.
Hooks in roof where lifeboat hung during period of disuse.
E. Rose (NAU).

Press cutting (S1) in file.

Ruined chancel and graveyard scheduled 1990 (S2). Details in file. Church listed (S3).
E. Rose (NAU), 1 May 1990.

Church very briefly seen on 17 October 1998.
Chancel in ruins, very poor condition. Nave with two blocked slits and one round headed window variously called Late Saxon or Norman. Other windows have V-tracery of about 1300. Tower said to be 15th century, bell openings boarded up, huge tower arch bricked up, as is chancel arch.
Banner staff locker in nave north wall by large recess that looks like the entry to a demolished chapel. Stone coffin lid in fragments; Wodehouse tomb 1571 (moved from chancel??). Octagonal font on brick base with ?reset floor tiles. Organ, 19th century good quality, made at Ludgate Hill London.
E. Rose (NLA), 19 October 1998.

Communion cup inscribed THE TOWNE OF WAXHAM 1568 stolen from Sea Palling church 1999 but recovered soon after.

July 2002-January 2003. Watching Brief.
An archaeological watching brief monitoring the excavation of drainage trenches on the south side of the church of St John’s Waxham and observing the removal and reinstatement of wooden floors on the north and south nave aisles inside the church was carried out. The archaeological work was undertaken over three separate days. One slightly disturbed burial was observed in the base of the central inspection tank hole south of the church. Inside the church, post medieval make-up layers were revealed and under the south nave aisle part of a stone plinth, along with holes possibly caused by stone robbing, were recorded.
See report (S4) for further details. The results of this work are summarised in (S6) and (S7).
The associated archive has been deposited with the Norwich Castle Museum (NWHCM : 2016.48).
M. Horlock (NLA), 11 March 2003. Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 17 May 2019.

Monument Types

  • GRAVE (Unknown date)
  • ROBBER TRENCH (Unknown date)
  • CHURCH (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • FLOOR (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • HUMAN REMAINS (Unknown date)
  • WINDOW (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
  • ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • COFFIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • FLOOR TILE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • FONT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • Xtile pavement (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status

  • Scheduled Monument
  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TG4326 U; TG4426 A-N,R-T.
---Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1996. TG4326/AR - AU.
---Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1994. TG4326/AH - AL.
---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 42 NW 5.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 708.
---Article in Serial: Heywood, S. 1994. Waxham Great Barn.. The Annual. No 3, p 24.
---Website: Knott, S.. 2006. St John, Waxham. 2 February 2007.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2009. Coastal church crawl will highlight history. 14 May.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Designation: English Heritage. 1994? -2011?. English Heritage Digital Designation Record. Record. DNF23.
<S1>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1976. £3000 repairs to Waxham Church. 29 April.
<S2>Designation: English Heritage. 1990-2013. English Heritage Scheduling Notification. Notification. DNF23.
<S3>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England.
<S4>Unpublished Contractor Report: Hobbs, B. P. 2003. Report on an Archaeological Watching Brief at St John's Church, Waxham, Norfolk. Norfolk Archaeological Unit. 797.
<S5>Slide: Various. Slide. 1-5.
<S6>Article in Serial: Gurney, D. and Penn, K. (eds). 2003. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk, 2002. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLIV Pt II pp 368-384. p 379.
<S7>Article in Serial: Gurney, D. and Penn, K. 2004. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk 2003. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLIV Pt III pp 573-588. p 585.

Related records

MNO2471Related to: Church of St. John Church Road Waxham SEA PALLING (Revoked)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service