Record Details

NHER Number:8245
Type of record:Monument
Name:Medieval moat at Moat Farm


Three remaining sides of a medieval moat, now mostly tree covered. The eastern part of the moat is now covered with 19th century farm buildings.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 3845 2834
Map Sheet:TG32NE

Full description

Moat (marked on Ordnance Survey map) at Moat Farm, Lessingham.

January 1981. Visit.
North, west and south sides remain waterfilled, wide. Trees along them but interior is a garden. Narrow arm shown on Ordnance Survey as forming east side of island is probably a later drainage ditch, now almost gone; the south arm protrudes further east and the original east arm is probably buried under the 19th century farm buildings. The north arm protrudes west beyond the west arm its end has recently been filled in, and there are no traces in a pasture field of any further ditches here.
Farm house is 18th and 19th century (empty at time of visit).
Small wooden bridge across west arm.
E. Rose (NAU), 15 January 1981.

April 2004. Norfolk NMP
Extant moat of probable medieval date mapped from aerial photographs (S1). Three sides of the moat are visible, but it is not clearly defined on aerial photographs of any date due to adjacent trees.
J. Albone (NMP), 6 April 2004

Monument Types

  • MOAT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • DRAINAGE DITCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 32 NE 9.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Lessingham.
<S1>Vertical Aerial Photograph: RAF. 1943. RAF AC/161 5135-6 04-JAN-1943 (NMR).

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service