Record Details

NHER Number:8205
Type of record:Building
Name:SS Peter and Paul's Church, Honing


This interestingly proportioned parish church consists of a tall west tower, narrowly aisled nave, south porch and a tiny chancel. Originally built in the 15th century, it was almost entirely rebuilt in 1795, when the chancel was constructed to its current size and the nave aisles narrowed. The tower remained as it was, but its west door was partly blocked and rather clumsily converted to a window. These alterations give the interior of the church a slightly strange perspective, as the aisle arcades remain but the aisles themselves form only narrow passageways. The 13th century font survives, and there are a number of interesting floor slabs, mostly hidden under the carpet. On each side of the chancel arch is a wall tablet to members of the Cubitt family, and there is also a World War One memorial to members of this family who were lost.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 3258 2800
Map Sheet:TG32NW

Full description

West tower, nave, north and south aisles, south porch, tiny chancel.
Church seems to have been Perpendicular (15th century) building mostly rebuilt 1795.
Tower is original (1493 to 1520 according to [1]) flushwork base and battlements; tall west window with two
orders of tracery (one below transom); tall tower arch; west doorway part blocked in brick and part made into intersected window in 1795.
South porch and south doorway also early Perpendicular; porch has coffin slab entrance step and benches with outlines of feet on them.
The bases of some of the arcade columns are also original.
Perpendicular chancel arch.
However all the windows apart from those in tower are intersected tracery of 1795, the date the chancel was demolished and rebuilt very small, so that the chancel arch is almost against the east wall.
Aisles also are far too narrow for their height.
South wall of church of knapped flint, with buttresses, but north wall is of pebbles, and buttresses partly in brick.
Only one north window and no north door.
Evidence indicates therefore that as well as the chancel the whole north wall and the arcades were taken down and rebuilt around the existing tower, south porch and chancel arch.
Some arcade bases were reused. Two hatchments.
19th century memorials.
Interior inaccessible at time of visit; above interior details seen through windows.
(S1) mentions a 13th century Purbeck marble font on Perpendiculr stem; brass, 1496; plate as unusual chalice, Norwich 16th century? And unmarked paten.
The site of the old chancel is covered with bushes (a family vault?).
(S2) records a reference in 1492 to a chapel at the east end of the yard; there seems to have been little room for this inside the old churchyard wall (since extended), and the area has now been cut through by graves. Press cutting (S3) in file. (S4).

January 2001. Observation of drainage trenches produced Late medieval/ Transitional ware.
See further report in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 23 January 2001.

Describes efforts to raise money needed for repair work to church.
See (S5) for more details.
M Langham-Lopez (HES), 05 November 2012.

Monument Types

  • CHAPEL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • COFFIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • DOOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • FONT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • WINDOW (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TG3227A, TG3228A-C.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 559-560.
---Website: Knott, S.. 2005. St Peter and St Paul, Honing. 25 June 2010.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Monograph: Pevsner, N. 1962. North-East Norfolk and Norwich. The Buildings of England. 1st Edition. pp 169-170.
<S2>Serial: Blomefield, F.. 1808. An Essay Towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk.. Vol IX.
<S3>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1990. Church faces costly struggle. 21 May.
<S4>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England.
<S5>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2012. Cash plea to repair medieval churches. 25 October.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service