Record Details

NHER Number:8200
Type of record:Building
Name:Honing Hall


The home of the Cubitt family, this is a red brick country house of 1748, two and a half storeys high with a black glazed pantile roof. Each side of the main hall building has five window bays, all with sash windows with a later bowed extension to the west. The south front has a decorated gable and an Ionic style doorway with pilasters supporting a plain entablature. Some alterations were carried out in about 1790, including the west bowed extension and the addition of the drawing room fireplace. Humphry Repton designed the hall's park to the south in 1792, and also added the flat horizontal mouldings between the storeys.
To the north are service wings of about 1868 and a separate Gothic style stable block with a clock and a date of 1884.
Inside the hall, the original entrance hall with fireplace and doors remain, along with an original (but relocated) stairway and a second one which is late 18th century.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 3273 2905
Map Sheet:TG32NW

Full description

1748, altered by Sir John Soane in about 1790 and by Humphry Repton in 1792. Red brick, five by five bays, three storeys. Three bay pediment to south. Ionic doorway with pediment. Band between storeys added by Repton. Bow window to west. Original entrance hall with fireplace and doors. Drawing room fireplace by Soane. Two staircases, one original and one late 18th century. (S1).

(S1)'s exterior description is correct. Service wings to north, and a separate stable block with clock in poor Gothic style dated 1884.
E. Rose (NAU), 4 February 1981.

(S2) notes that service ranges are by R. W. Phipson 1868 to 70 and that the original 1748 staircase was relocated at that date. Stable block is listed grade II.
E. Rose (NAU), 13 August 1986.

Dr Wilson (Centre of East Anglian Studies) notes that the bow window is one of Soane's additions.
E. Rose (NAU), 29 May 1987.

This is odd, as T.Williamson (Centre of East Anglian Studies) in Norfolk County Council Inventory of Parks states that Soane's proposals were never carried out.

Architects plans and floor loading ratios (S3) in file.

26 August 1997. NLA air photography .
Hall visible.
H. Clare (NLA), 29 Mar 2001.

Monument Types

  • GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • STABLE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1997. TG3229/A - N; TG3228/F - P.
---Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1995. TG 3228Q - U.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 560.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Monograph: Pevsner, N. 1962. North-East Norfolk and Norwich. The Buildings of England. 1st Edition. p 170.
<S2>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entries 1049989 and 1169963.
<S3>Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service