|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||St Margaret's Church, Old Catton|
This church has a round west tower with a 15th century brick and flint coating and polygonal belfry. The massive nave quoins suggest the tower may date to the Late Saxon or Norman period. There are also other Norman fragments in the church. The chapel arch dates to the 14th century but most of the rest of the church is 15th century. It was heavily renovated and altered in the 19th century. The west gallery of 1773 with stair turret is an unusual survival.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 2306 1232|
|Parish:||OLD CATTON, BROADLAND, NORFOLK|
Round tower, massive splayed base of flint and brick alternating; Perpendicular octagonal top in red and yellow brick. Neo-Norman priest's door said by vicar to be genuine; recut. Chancel has Perpendicular windows (those on south lowered to form shelf and sedilia) and chancel arch, but arch on north to former lady chapel older, probably Decorated, with groove for screen. Ornate niches on east wall exterior north of window, and inside south of chancel arch (damaged). Perpendicular north arcade to former north aisle, and Perpendicular nave clerestory (mark of roof before it was added formerly visible above chancel arch). Decorated south porch with parvis, cusped niche between two cusped lancets, headstops on entrance, blocked side lancets, and stair turret on relieveing arch; later stepped gable with sundial and behind this an intermediate section between porch and nave wall. South aisle 1850 in imitation of north which was then demolished and a double transept erected. North wall of Lady Chapel rebuilt 1867; another arch cut through to sanctuary 1880. 19th century window over east window. Fine carved wineglass pulpit from St George Colegate, Norwich, dated 1537. 15th century carved spandrels reset in base of old rood screen; 16th century carving in priest's desk, two brass plaques, one dated 1552. 18th century floor tombs. 19th century organ gallery (originally choir gallery). Bell of 1620. Font 19th century (pace (S1)) but vicar says a 15th century one has been dug up in a garden in the parish. 18th and 19th century monuments including one by Westmacott. Elizabethan chalice, Norwich (reworked from an older?) Paten, 1567; ladle, London 1818. Tall 19th century memorial in churchyard.
E. Rose (NAU), 18 May 1977.
Source  says comment about font may be a misunderstanding of the fact that in a garden is a font brought in modern times from a Norwich church. Carved section of early Flemish triptych in church loaned to Sainsbury Centre 1986. Another explanation of the font story may be that St Luke's Church New Catton (in Norwich) has a 13th century font found in the garden of St Andrew's parsonage in Norwich.
E. Rose (NAU), 22 July 1987
See notes in file by source  describing the pulpit, and the heraldy inserted by Rev. Hart at the three restorations of 1850, 1861 and 1867.
E. Rose (NLA), 28 November 1995.
(S2) gives following summary of Rev Richard Hart's restorations: 1850, new south aisle built, pews, desk, lectern, font and some glass made and the pulpit brought in; 1860-61 transpects added on north, shields added to nave roof, west screen made. 1867 north aisle restored, tracery added to blind south-east chancel window. In 1882 the latter window was glazed in his memory.
E. Rose (NLA), 22 February 1999.
Round west tower with later (15th century) brick and flint coating and polygonal belfry. Massive nave quoins suggest Late Saxon-Norman date. Other Norman fragments. 14th century chapel arch and south door. Church mainly 15th century but much altered at various dates in 19th century. West gallery of 1773 with stair turret is unusual survival.
Many monuments of good quality. Pulpit from St George Colegate.
Good 19th century monument in graveyard.
E. Rose (NLA), 26 February 2003.
- ROUND TOWERED CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FONT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- DOOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- ROOD SCREEN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- WINDOW (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1905. Hundred of Taverham. The Churches of Norfolk. Vol XV. pp 17-29. |
|---||Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1995. TG 2311C - E; TG 2312A - C. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 626-627. |
|---||Documentary Source: Manning, I. M. A History of Old Catton. pp 4-5. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Photograph: BDE5. |
|<S1>||Monograph: Pevsner, N. 1962. North-East Norfolk and Norwich. The Buildings of England. 1st Edition. p 287; Pl 32b. |
|<S2>||Publication: Vincent, J.. 1998. Richard Hart. No 7. p 15. |
|<S3>||Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 2003. Building Report.. Building Report. |
Related records - none
Find out more...