Record Details

NHER Number:8019
Type of record:Building
Name:Ruins of All Saints' Church, Hainford


The overgrown ruins of a medieval parish church, partly demolished in 1840 when the new church (NHER 8020) was built. The nave, chancel and south porch have gone, but the west tower remains, probably dating to the 13th century, with later additions, including battlements. The graveyard continued to be used after 1840, and a small 19th century mortuary chapel was added to the east of the tower for burial services. Burials continue to this day, as the water table in the new churchyard is too high.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 2295 1964
Map Sheet:TG21NW

Full description

Church, demolished except for tower. Chancel may have had Norman work; nave had 15th century windows and porch. Tower, now ruinous, 13th century altered in 15th. Mortuary chapel added c1840 when church demolished. Grave slabs remain on site of nave. During churchyard clearance in 2005 a 19th century brick vault was exposed, along with what may have been the foundations of a detached medieval chapel.
See (S1) for further details.
E. Rose (NLA), 11 October 2005.

Formerly there was a chancel, and south porch with parvis and niche.
Information from (S2).
E. Rose (NAU).

Is the hole on the tower wall for a rope to a sanctus bell? Compare with Scarning (NHER 2891).
E. Rose (NAU).

(S3) to (S5) in file.

Ruins now fenced off, for safety reasons, and that area very overgrown.
D. Gurney (NLA) 23 October 2007

Monument Types

  • CHAPEL? (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CHURCH (Medieval to 19th Century - 1066 AD to 1840 AD)
  • MORTUARY CHAPEL (19th Century - 1840 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TG3829A-B.
---Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1905. Hundred of Taverham. The Churches of Norfolk. Vol XV. pp 61-64.
---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 21 NW 4 [3].
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 536.
---Publication: Messent, C. J. W. 1931. The Ruined Churches of Norfolk.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Hainford.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Unpublished Document: Rose, E. (NLA). 2005. Building Report.. Building Report.
<S2>Archive: Bolingbroke Collection.
<S3>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1984. Hainford clean-up project by jobless. 5 April.
<S4>Monograph: Batcock, N. 1991. The Ruined and Disused Churches of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 51. Microfiche 5:G12. No 96; p 52.
<S5>Photograph: Rose, E.. LBD 21 to 24.

Related records

MNO1301Related to: Remains of Church of All Saints Old Church Road HAINFORD (Revoked)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service