Record Details

NHER Number:7969
Type of record:Building
Name:Billingford Mill


The five storey red brick Billingford tower mill was built in 1860 at a cost of £1300, and was the last mill in Norfolk to grind corn by windpower. It stood on the site of a postmill, and was worked by convection currents, so it was often turning when mills on higher ground were becalmed.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TM 1669 7856
Map Sheet:TM17NE

Full description

Billingford. Windmill.

Built in 1860, this was the last mill in Norfolk to grind corn by windpower. It stood on a postmill site, and worked by convection currents so that it was often turning when mills on higher ground were becalmed.
Information from Norfolk Windmills Trust.
E. Rose (NAU), 26 April 1979.

The mill is dated above the door with the name of Goddard. It formerly was surrounded by sheds containing steam and oil engines, the foundations of which can be traced. [1]
See also (S2) to (S4).
E. Rose (NAU), 8 February 1985.

The previous mill on the site is marked on (S6) and was destroyed in a storm.
E. Rose (NAU).

Architects drawings (pre 1992) as large rolled plans (S7).
E. Rose (NLA).

June 2009.
Sails removed for repair.
See (S15) for further details
H. White (NLA), 15 June 2009

Volunteers and fundraisers are set to replace sails and prepare the windmill to open for the public in May 2013.
See (S16) and (S17) for further information.
M. Langham-Lopez (HES), 15 February 2013.

Monument Types

  • POST MILL (16th Century to 19th Century - 1540 AD to 1859 AD)
  • CORN MILL (19th Century to Mid 20th Century - 1860 AD to 1956 AD)
  • TOWER MILL (19th Century to 21st Century - 1860 AD to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TM1678.
---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TM 17 NE 23.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1997-1999. [Articles on the restoration of Billingford Windmill].
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 206.
---Photograph: Billingford Mill. Print.
---Photograph: Billingford Mill. Print.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2017. [Article containing details of restoration work undertaken at Billingford Mill]. 25 April.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2014. Race is on to raise cash for mill restoration. 8 August.
<S1>Photograph: 1950. Billingford, Scole. Print.
<S2>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1977. Billingford mill sails will soon turn again. 15 July.
<S3>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1980. [Photographs of Billingford Windmill].
<S4>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1981. Brick tower corn mill. 23 February.
<S6>Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797.
<S7>*Rolled Plan: Large Plan Exists.
<S10>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1997. £57,000 project to restore cottage. 26 June.
<S11>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1998. Going backwards for a better future. 31 July.
<S13>Photograph: 1999. Billingford Mill. Print.
<S14>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2008. Repairs needed to windmill's rotting sails. 1 February.
<S15>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2009. Apprentices help with repairs to historic mill. 12 June.
<S16>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2013. Windmill looks to future. 6 February.
<S17>Newspaper Article: Diss Mercury. 2013. Community plans for much-loved windmill. 7 February.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service