Record Details

NHER Number:7966
Type of record:Building
Name:Mill building immediately north of Mill House, Norwich Road


This three storey red brick tower mill was built in 1799, and is circular in plan with a modern flat roof. The mill was last used in 1883, and all floors and machinery have since been removed.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TM 1522 7910
Map Sheet:TM17NE

Full description

A windmill is marked on the Ordance Survey map (S1).
Tower mill built in 1799. Last used 1883. [1]
E. Rose (NAU), 23 March 1982.

Architects plans (1995) in file (S2).

English Heritage Listing 1981:
Mill building immediately north of Mill House, Norwich Road. Scole.
Mid 19th century red brick tower mill. Three storeys. Circular on plan. Modern flat roof. Small segmental-headed window openings on three floors. All floors and machinery removed.
Information from (S3)

Monument Types

  • TOWER MILL (18th Century to 19th Century - 1799 AD to 1883 AD)
  • WINDMILL (18th Century to 19th Century - 1799 AD to 1883 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TM 17 NE 22.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Map: Ordnance Survey, First Edition, 6 Inch. 1879-1886. Ordnance Survey 1st Edition 6 inch map..
<S2>Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service