|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||St Andrew's Church, Attlebridge|
A parish church of Late Saxon or Norman origins, with a 13th century nave and chancel and later additions of a west tower, south porch and north aisle. The building is of flint with some brick and limestone dressings. The roof is pantiled. The tower, which is slim and unbuttressed, has battlements and contains bells of 1572, 1713 and 1714 from the church at Morton on the Hill. The windows are consistent with the period, although there has been some 19th century restoration and replacement. Inside are an important series of memorial brasses.
|Grid Reference:||TG 1294 1686|
|Parish:||ATTLEBRIDGE, BROADLAND, NORFOLK|
St. Andrew's church was originally constructed in the Saxo-Norman or Norman period. Early features include conglomerate footings and fossil quoins as well as Norman carved limestone. The building was remodelled in the late 13th century, adding a new chancel and nave doorways. The tower was constructed in the 13th or 14th century, while the north aisle perhaps dates to the later 14th century. A late medieval brick porch replaces a 13th century example. Decay in 17th/18th centuries was followed by restoration in 1865. The tower bells include those from Morton on the Hill (one by by John Brend the elder 1572, one by Thomas Newman 1714) and possibly St Andrews Hall, Norwich (a bell of 1713 inscribed by Nicholas Helwys, Mayor of Norwich). The cross remains outside the porch.
See building report (S1) for additional details.
E. Rose (NLA), 6 July 2006.
1994. Carving installed.
A stone carving of two figures in the recess of an arch was found in the river near a hermitage site (NHER 7727) sometime in the 1960's. The carving was kept in a local garden until 1994, when it was moved into Attlebridge church (Church of St. Andrew). Previously thought to be derived from the hermitage site, it is now suspected to be a dedicatory plaque from the parapet of Attle bridge (NHER 7738).
See NHER 7727 for further description.
December 2008. Watching Brief.
Monitoring during the excavation of surface water drainage and associated soakaways. No archaeological features were encountered during this watching brief, but unsurprisingly, large quantities of disarticulated human bone were discovered.
See report (S7) for further information.
A. Cattermole (NLA), 23 July 2009.
Nave roof reboarded, porch repaired and painted, medieval carving installed at the entrance, north aisle floor renewed and new tiles have been laid.
See (S8) for further details
H. White (NLA), 27 April 2009.
- CHURCH (Medieval to 21st Century - 1066 AD to 2100 AD)
- HUMAN REMAINS (Unknown date)
Sources and further reading
|---||Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1905. Hundred of Taverham. The Churches of Norfolk. Vol XV. pp 1-10. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 362. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Documentary Source: Martin, T. c. 1700-1799. Collections of Church Notes. Norfolk Records Office. c. 1730. |
|<S2>||Publication: Wortley, J.D.. 1926. The parishes and churches of Attlebridge and Morton-on-the-Hill. |
|<S3>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1372661. |
|<S4>||Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). TG 1216E, AF, AG. |
|<S5>||Aerial Photograph: TG1216A-D. |
|<S6>||Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 2006. Building Report.. Building Report. |
|<S7>||Unpublished Contractor Report: Birks, C. 2009. Report on an Archaeological Watching Brief at St Andrew's Church, Attlebridge, Norfolk. Chris Birks Archaeological Services. CB171R. |
|<S8>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2009. Bishop to lead the celebrations as church reopens. 27 April. |
Related records - none
Find out more...