|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||The Attle Bridge|
The bridge over the river was rebuilt in 1668 and again in 1913, probably using some of the original stonework.
Images - none
The bridge was rebuilt in 1668.
R.R. Clarke (NCM).
During a visit to the site in 1978 it was observed that the bridge was again rebuilt in 1913. However, the cutwaters may retain some of the earlier stonework.
E. Rose (NAU), 14 June 1978.
At sometime between 1960 and 1969.
A stone carving of two figures in the recess of an arch was found in the river near a hermitage site (NHER 7727). The carving was kept in a local garden until 1994, when it was moved into Attlebridge church (NHER 7748). Previously thought to be derived from the hermitage site, it is now suspected to be a dedicatory plaque from the parapet of the bridge.
See NHER 7727 for further description.
E. Rose (NLA), 1 July 2006.
- BRIDGE (Post Medieval to 21st Century - 1540 AD to 2100 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Post-Medieval. Attlebridge. |
Related records - none
Find out more...