Record Details

NHER Number:7677
Type of record:Monument
Name:St Theobald's Church, Great Hautbois, Coltishall


A parish church, dating to the 11th century, with later medieval alterations. The early Norman walls also contain Roman bricks. The church is now in ruins except for the chancel. The churchyard remains in use.


  • The ruins of St Theobald's Church, Great Hautbois  © Norfolk Museums & Archaeology Service
  • The ruins of St Theobalds' Church, Great Hautbois.  © Norfolk Museums & Archaeology Service


Grid Reference:TG 2615 2043
Map Sheet:TG22SE

Full description

Also known as St Mary's.
Ruined church, Late Saxon nave and possibly later Saxo-Norman round tower.
Extended about 1300 and in 15th century.
Ruinated about 1860.
Roman bricks in walls.
See (S1) and (S2).

1931. Medieval sherds and tiles found.
See details in file.

See (S3) in file.
E. Rose, (NAU) 9 May 1990.

February 2013. Building record
This record is to accompany the proposal for repair and consolidation of the ruin and the memorial chapel. The site is adjacent to Hautbois Castle (See 7679) which was built in the ealy 14th century by Sir Robert Bainard. The site has 11th century north and west wall of nave with contemporary part of north wall of chancel. The battered round tower was an addition of the early 12th century. Chancel extended and south transept added in early 13th century. This became the east end of a wide 14th-century aisle, (clear change in fabric), with a 2-bay arcade. Ruinated at time of construction of replacement church in 1862 (see 7702). The chancel has an early 19th-century king post roof with raking struts.The font with its complex interlace decoration has been moved to the new church. Very isolated site.
See (S4).
S. Heywood (HES), 28 March 2013.

The wooden door into the tower from the nave has been broken into (a while ago).
D. Gurney (HES), 13 April 2015.

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Late Saxon to Medieval - 851 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds

  • BRICK (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
  • WINDOW (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
  • DOOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • DOOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • PISCINA (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • TILE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • Scheduled Monument

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TG2620G-J.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1979. Church on brink of burial comes back. 26 November.
---Designation: [unknown]. Ancient Monuments Form. SAM Record. DNF229.
---Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1905. Hundred of South Erpingham. The Churches of Norfolk. Vol XIV. p 220.
---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 22 SE 2 [2].
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1990. Thieves dig up church flooring. 16 May.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 542.
---Recording Form: Heywood, S. 2000. Norfolk County Council Site Visit Record - St Theobald's Church, Great Hautbois, Coltishall.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Coltishall.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Slide: Various. Slide.
<S1>Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 1990. Building Report. Building Report.
<S2>Designation: Historic England. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1295280.
<S3>Monograph: Batcock, N. 1991. The Ruined and Disused Churches of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 51. Microfiche 5:G12. No 44; pp 51, 94-97, microfiche 5:A1-A6.
<S4>Unpublished Document: Heywood, S. 2013. Building record of Church of St Theobald, Great Hautbois.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service