Record Details

NHER Number:7565
Type of record:Building
Name:St Peter's and Paul's Church, Tuttington


This small church has a 12th century round tower. The chancel is in the Decorated style and the nave windows are early Perpendicular style. The majority of the church dates to 1450 but it underwent restorations in 1884 and 1912. Inside is an octagonal Perpendicular font, poppyhead benches and a reset Norman Piscina.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 2266 2719
Map Sheet:TG22NW

Full description

Round tower. Chancel in Decorated style, restored 1904, nave windows early Perpendicular.
Church supposedly dated to 1450 but this may well be inaccurate.
Reset Norman piscina.
Brief notes in file.
E. Rose (NAU) 28 September 1977.

(S2) discusses the 'uncertain' date of the round tower.
A. Beckham (HES), 18 January 2020.

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Medieval to 19th Century - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • DOOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • FONT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • PISCINA (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • PISCINA (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1905. Hundred of South Erpingham. The Churches of Norfolk. Vol XIV. pp 384-390.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 703-704.
---Leaflet: Bestelink, W.. A short guide to the church of St Peter and St Paul,Tuttington..
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Directory: Kelly, E.. Kelly's Directory of Norfolk..
<S2>Unpublished Report: Atkin, M. 1983. Two Round Towered churches from Norwich. Publication article. p. 4.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service