Record Details

NHER Number:7547
Type of record:Building
Name:Burgh Watermill


This weatherboarded mill dates to the late 18th/early 19th century. It was still in use in 1980. The mill underwent some works in 1989 so that it could be used in a television programme.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 222 250
Map Sheet:TG22NW

Full description

28 September 1977. Visit by E. Rose (NAU).
Multigabled weatherboarded mill still in use 1977 and machinery intact 1983. Late 18th/early 19th century - a mill marked on (S1).
Listed 1983.

1957. Sestertius of ?Vespasian found here, very worn.
Seen by R. R Clarke. (NCM card, find not seen since).
E. Rose (NAU).

Mill restored 1989 for use in a television programme. Stated to have at various times produced flour, worstead cloth, animal feed and electricity.
See (S2). Press cutting in file.
E. Rose (NAU) 15 May 1989.

(S3) Letter from owner (1950 onwards) outlining brief history of family involvement with the mill. It was already in poor condition in 1908 and the end gable was removed. His father had acquired in 1912. After 1950, the waterwheel and machinery were gradually overhauled. The milling business ceased operation in 1980. Some works to the roof valleys carried out subsequent to this.
A. Yardy (HES), 17 February 2016.

Monument Types

  • WATERMILL (18th Century to 21st Century - 1760 AD to 2100 AD)
  • WATERMILL (18th Century to 21st Century - 1760 AD to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds

  • COIN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TG2225 E,H,J.
---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 22 NW 13.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 418.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Roman. Tuttington.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1997. Rare frost freezes river. 8 February.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1990. [Photograph of Burgh Watermill]. 23 October.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1997. [Photograph of Burgh Watermill]. 23 April.
<S1>Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797.
<S2>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1989. Camera call that rejuvenated old mill. 15 May.
<S3>Correspondence: 2010. Correspondence. 02 March.
<S4>Photograph: Unknown. Unknown. Steelyard in use at Burgh-next-Aylsham mill. print.

Related records

MNO2724Related to: Burgh Mill The Street BURGH WITH TUTTINGTON (Revoked)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service