Record Details

NHER Number:7524
Type of record:Building
Name:All Saints' Church, Marsham

Summary

A 13th century and later parish church with a west tower, north aisle, south aisle, south porch, nave, clerestory, vestry and chancel. The south porch has a 13th century door and the north door is medieval. Most of the chancel dates to the 19th century restoration. Inside there is a 15th century hammerbeam roof with later tie beams and binders, the remains of 15th century screen decorated with sixteen painted saints and a font that dates to about 1460.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 1966 2370
Map Sheet:TG12SE
Parish:MARSHAM, BROADLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

All Saints' Church, Marsham.
See NHER 62540 for archaeological discoveries within churchyard.

May 1961. Listed Grade I.
Listing Description:
Parish Church. 13th century and later, of flint with stone dressings and slate roof. West tower, north aisle, south aisle, south porch, nave, clerestorey, vestry and chancel. Two-stage tower with diagonal buttresses, 14th-century two-light windows, one-light sound hole, two-light belfry openings with flowing tracery to north, and decayed or debased, to east, west and south. Chequered flint parapet. Five-bay north aisle with blocked western door, stepped buttresses and late 15th-century three-light Perpendicular windows. Five-bay south aisle with four late Perpendicular three-light windows with three centred stilted arches. South porch with diagonal buttresses with tall 14th-century doorway, one light windows and within 13th-century door to church. Five-bay clerestorey, with three-light Perpendicular windows with quatrefoil in shallow two-centred arch. Chancel with diagonal and angle buttresses, mainly 19th-century restoration with 19th-century windows. Lean-to vestry on north side with squint to west, and three-light window. Medieval north and south oak doors. North aisle with niche, piscina and doorway to Rood Loft stairs. Five-bay arcade with octagonal piers with base and capitals, possibly 14th century to south and 15th century to north. Fine 15th-century single hammerbeam roof with later tie beams and binders, reinforcing alternate trusses. Octagonal wall timber posts with bases capitals and arch braces, supported on carved stone corbels. Spandrels of some arch braces have tracery carved angels at the ends of the hammerbeams. South aisle with piscina at east end. Chancel arch with the remains of 15th-century screen, decorated with sixteen painted saints. Font on two steps, the upper decorated with pointed quatrefoils. Bowl with seven sacraments and last judgement. Poppyhead ends to restored benches. Chancel stained glass by Kempe.
Information from (S1).
Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 6 February 2018.

According to Blomefield there was formerly a stained glass window with a rare depiction of St Kenelm.
E. Rose (NLA), 3 March 1997.

Font dates to about 1460.
Information from (S2).
D. Robertson (NLA), 16 June 2006.

March-April 2017. Watching Brief.
Monitoring of groundworks associated with installation of water pipe connection and Trench Arch foul waste system.
The trench for the water pipe connection revealed sub-surface details of the brick-blocked north doorway and the footings of the nave. The doorway was blocked by two types of 18th- to 19th-century bricks, with late gault-type bricks above ground level and less attractive Norfolk Red-type bricks below. Below the brick blocking was a hard granite threshold stone which may have replaced a medieval limestone threshold. The masonary footings of the north aisle comprise randomly fractured flint cobbles set in a pale yellow, gritty sandy mortar.
See NHER 62540 and report (S3) for further details.
P. Watkins (HES), 6 February 2018.

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TG1923 A-M.
---Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1905. Hundred of South Erpingham. The Churches of Norfolk. Vol XIV. pp 301-309.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 606-607.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1250332.
<S2>Monograph: Mortlock, D. & Roberts, C.. 1981. The Popular Guide to Norfolk Churches, No.1. North-East Norfolk..
<S3>Unpublished Contractor Report: Emery, G. 2017. Archaeological Monitoring at All Saints Church, Church Lane, Marsham, Norwich. Norvic Archaeology. 101.

Related records

62540Parent of: Medieval to post-medieval graves and multi-period finds, churchyard of All Saints’ Church (Monument)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service