Record Details

NHER Number:7474
Type of record:Building
Name:St Mary's Church, Great Witchingham


A medieval parish church, which may date back to the Late Saxon period. The church dates mainly to the 14th century, and was restored in the 19th century. The 15th century Seven Sacrament font is one of the best examples of this kind of font in the country, and retains much of its original medieval paint.


  • St Mary's Church, Great Witchingham.  © Norfolk Museums & Archaeology Service


Grid Reference:TG 1034 2004
Map Sheet:TG12SW

Full description

May 1961. Listed, Grade II.
Listing Description:
Parish church. West tower, south porch, nave, north and south aisles, south transept and Chancel. 14th century and 15th century. Flint, partly plastered, with stone dressings. Pantiled roofs to Nave, Chancel and south porch, copper roofs to aisles. 14th century west tower with angle buttresses flushwork base course and two ogee-headed niches flanking the west window. West doorway blocked. 15th century clere- storey of eight bays, westernmost bay blank with flushwork panels. Diaper brickwork on south side. 15th century south porch with two flushwork friezes of crowned 'M's and carvings of the Annunciation in the spandrels of the doorway arch, 14th century arcades of four bays with octagonal piers and double-chamfered arches. Good arch-braced nave roof with wall posts on stone corbels. Traceried cornice, with eastern bay of roof panelled to form canopy of honour over rood. Plain arch-braced roofs over aisles. Fine seven-sacrament font retaining much original colouring. Four benches with pierced and traceried backs and poppy-heads. Royal arms of Charles II given by Oliver le Neve 1660.
Information from (S1).

Evidence of early work in amount of conglomerate.
Present church chancel of about 1300, tower about 1380, nave and aisles about 1390, transept clerestory, roofs and porch about 1490. Much 19th century restoration. Demolished vestry.
A number of good quality and important tombs and memorials.
Important 15th century painted font and 19th century lectern.
See (S2) in file.
E. Rose (NLA) 23 November 1992.

23 July 2007. Site visit.
A trench (450mm deep) for a new electricity cable, running from the north wall of the tower to a new pole by the north wall of the churchyard, was inspected. No archaeological finds or features were recorded.
D. Gurney (NLA), 23 July 2007.

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
  • CHURCH (Medieval to 21st Century - 1066 AD to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds

  • UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
  • COFFIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • DOOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • DOOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • FONT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • PISCINA (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • PISCINA (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • Xbell frame (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TG 1020A,B.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 487.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2008. Worshippers plan warm welcome for switch-on. 5 December.
---Leaflet: 1976. A guide to St Mary;s Parish Church, Great witchingham, Norfolk.. The Cathay Press.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-[2000]. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1076900.
<S2>Unpublished Document: Rose, E. (NLA). 1992. Building Report.. Building Report.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service