Record Details

NHER Number:7444
Type of record:Find Spot
Name:Neolithic axehead


A Neolithic flint flaked axehead found in 1930.

Images - none



Full description

1930. Stray Find.
Found at a depth of 6 feet [1.8m] while digging for rabbits:
1 Neolithic chipped flint axehead.
This discovery was reported in the local press (S1). Information from (S2).

It is recorded that in 1930 this object was in the possession of Rev. J. D. Wortley. It is therefore likely to be the "...very fine specimen of a Neolithic axe" from Great Witchingham that Wortley exhibited at a meeting of the Norfolk and Norwich Archaeological Society the same year (S3). It is possible that this axehead is also the same object as an implement from Great Witchingham that Wortley exhibited at a meeting of the Prehistoric Society of East Anglia in March 1930, although this was subsequently described as a "…beautiful pick of triangular section…" (S4).

Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 17 May 2016.

Monument Types

  • FINDSPOT (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)

Associated Finds

  • FLAKED AXEHEAD (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 01 NE 23; TG 01 NE 24.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1930. Flint axe at Witchingham. 6 March.
<S2>Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Neolithic. Witchingham (Great).
<S3>Article in Serial: 1931. The Proceedings of the Society from 12th June to 31st December, 1930. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXIV Part II pp xxxiii-xlix. xxxvii.
<S4>Article in Serial: 1930. Summary of Proceedings. Proceedings of the Prehistoric Society of East Anglia. Vol VI Pt III pp 249-251. p 249.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service